Please, sell me on the Carnival Bioluminescence Bay Tour

gatorclaw

gatorclaw,

Glad you enjoyed it!!! Like you said, it was awesome just to be kayaking at night. I thought going through the mangroves/canal was great when it was REALLY dark. I am curious though ... you saw a white glow? We saw a blue glow...very pretty blue like a pool lit up at night.

Did you get in and swim? How was your 'trip' back into the kayak? Hopefully a lot better than mine. :eek:

We just returned from doing the excursion through Carnival. We loved the experience. You WILL get wet from the waist down. Carnival apparently didn't tell some people in our group they would get wet and they were unhappy.

We took a group of 13 mostly inexperienced kayakers. It worked out ok, but I would say it was more physical than I expected (not being a kayaker). It was 20-30 minutes of steady paddling to get to the bay. One kayak in our group had to be towed back because they just couldn't get the hang of it, but like a previous poster said, they have guides along with the group and they will not let anyone get left behind. We were in the back for a while and the guides were very patient and encouraging.

They will put 2 people in every kayak. We had a father/adult son that they split up so some lesser experienced people could have help. We also had an extra person who got put with a 10 year old boy that was just out for a race with his brother. So if you can have your kayak partners set up, that helps.

As we were halfway through the channel and began seeing the blue glow on the paddles it was just awesome!

Nerak, Strange how it was clearly blue with you and clearly white with us. The guide did mention that the effect can vary and it depends on the moon- of course, but also if it's been cloudy the microlife cannot recharge properly and this affects them as well. So I guess it can vary in not only power of glow, but hue as well- or I just went color blind for a few hours.

gatorclaw,

Maybe it was me who was just seeing things...could I have possibly just 'wished' the blue? :p Actually the blue was very intense in the canal, not quite so bright in the bay. I wonder if the time of evening might make a difference also....we headed in around 9:30 I think. Sounds like a good reason for you to go back...try again for blue.

gatorclaw,

Are you Jason in the videos??? I made the mistake of clicking on one of your videos...they are addictive!!! :D I skipped the gym tonight to do some things around the house, now I'm getting nothing done but watching the videos. Thanks, they are fun.........or, I just have no life.

ha ha. Yep. I'm the Jason and I'll be working on the Liberty Cruise video starring the bio bay chapter. Shh... don't tell anyone- I'll be photoshopping a glow effect into our photos since the glow doesn't show up. I just have to decide whether to make it white or blue :).

These videos are great...my daughter is home from Ball State U this weekend and I plan to get her hooked on them. She lurks the boards and I am sure she'll love it. Blue or white...hmmmmmm, you could go with two versions. Better yet, just change back and forth.

When I told Lindsay you didn't see the blue, she couldn't believe it. We had a BIG fish jump while we in the canal....IT was even blue. Needless to say, she doesn't like the dark and it just about did her in as I was oooohhhing and awwwwwwing. :D

Archived