Feel like giving up on the Caribbean

So, we are on cruise booking mark 4 for the Caribbean mid March, bit early yet but I am beginning to wonder if this is something we should give up on altogether.

We are both triple jabbed and I don't have any concerns re covid itself however these are my worries and I am hoping that some of you could advise me? If one of us contracts covid then we may moved into isolation in our cabins which is fine however...

1. Apparently they could move us off the ship to a hotel and then we would be under the port authority care, I have read stories that some people are in rooms with no balconies and the food is bad, I am concerned because I don't want to be split from my partner also...
  2. I may have to take more leave from work...
  3. There is little or no telephone network in the Caribbean so I am afraid I would be isolated

This is what Tui states..

Initially, any guest with COVID-19 symptoms or a positive antigen test will be asked to take a PCR test and remain in isolation onboard. If their PCR test is positive, they’ll move to isolation in destination if required by the local authorities or continue to isolate onboard. While the destination and travel insurance take over the management of isolation ashore, we’ll remain in regular contact throughout the isolation period.

Apparently there is little contact that I have read from others in Tenerife.

I have tried to call Tui for clarification but gave up after 40 minutes holding. I know this is all a bit 'what if' but it's stressing me out and I have checked the same holiday and term for next year and it's about 900 quid more which is extortionate and places it outside of our budget. 

The testing is also a huge stressor and just like everyone else on here it takes the joy put of looking forward to what is a holiday of a lifetime for us.  I feel very deflated and just don't know what to do, in any case it may be taken out of our hands anyway.

Thoughts please, thanks in advance.

You have obviously been keeping abreast of whats going on, so in reality, its your decision based on what you already know. I don't think getting through to Tui will add anything, as most cruise companies are not offering any more certainty than you already have.

If one person is positive and one negative, most insurers will not cover the 'negative' partners expenses, so some of those affected so far, appear to have avoided this substantial cost by flying home, leaving the positive person alone.

As we weren't prepared to take that risk (we should be in the Canaries now) and based on  what we knew about Omicron mid December, we changed to a land based holiday in April, and had a refund of the difference in price.

You have another month to decide (28 days before departure), so things may change for the better, who knows?

I think you have taken the right approach, I am feeling that we should cancel this and move to another cruise for the summer instead, just give up on it as who knows what variant we will have next year?

Even the med is not without risks though. It's just so stressful whatever we do.

Apparently, a Fred Olsen cruise, destined for the Caribbean, has turned around and is sailing back to the UK at present. Not sure if they have Covid onboard, or due to changes in the islands infection rates and/or controls for visiting.

Our change to land based is not totally 'Covid bullet proof', but we feel more comfortable with this, and its hopefully lower risks than a cruise.

Edited by howmuch!

I would avoid the Caribbean personally - for me it’s too far away if something goes wrong and they seem to have more changes in restrictions etc going on.

I would still try Europe though - I have booked for may and September - feel more comfortable knowing I’m nearer home - and also in Europe. 

horrible decision to have to make .

best wishes 

• Like 1

So after calling 7 different numbers and being cut off on several occasions, I finally speak to someone at my insurance company after 1 hour 46 minutes to be told that they cannot answer my query about if one couple one is negative and one positive, apparently I have to be in that situation, call them and then they'll decide whether they would pay for the positive person to be accompanied.  I am appalled they cannot give me an answer and based on this it's too big a risk being so far from home.

Completely agree with your sentiments about your upcoming cruise.

We were due to go to the Caribbean on 13 March 2022 (Tropical Delights/Paradise Islands).

Balance was due on Sunday so we changed today to a land-based holiday in May in Europe. Much shorter flight and hopefully by May, Europe will be in a better situation. Not sure about the Caribbean, particularly with the T20 cricket matches vs England at the end of  January,

Given that Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao have not been allowing cruise ships, will this have changed in two months time? Not prepared to risk a cruise to nowhere for a week. 

Also don't want to end up in isolation on Barbados at the end of a cruise - seems from posts on here and social media, that non-infected companions gets shipped home. Don't like that.

Finally a nine hour flight in a mask - NO!

3 hours ago, bluewater2111 said:

So after calling 7 different numbers and being cut off on several occasions, I finally speak to someone at my insurance company after 1 hour 46 minutes to be told that they cannot answer my query about if one couple one is negative and one positive, apparently I have to be in that situation, call them and then they'll decide whether they would pay for the positive person to be accompanied.  I am appalled they cannot give me an answer and based on this it's too big a risk being so far from home.

We are with LV, and they confirmed more or less the same as your company. OH is type 1 diabetic and coeliac, so if she was positive, I wouldn't want to leave her to save money, in case her health took a downturn, and a divorce would be much more expensive 😂