Western Caribbean help

NEENEE

I am looking at taking my mum on the Conquest to West Caribbean. Due to mum being dependant on walking frame do we pull into ports or use tenders. I am not sure if she will be able to manage tender. Are they easy getting on and off for older people (not able to really lift her legs). Also are the ports of Montego Bay, Grand Cayman & Cozumel worth her visiting. The last cruise I took her on was Alaska and she had a hoot of a time (no tenders there). The staff of course on Carnival are so helpful with the physcially challenged, however I'm just not sure of this itinerary. Any suggestions would be great and would like to depart from the West side, as will be flying from Australia and it is already a long flight without going over to the south. The flight from LA is approx 3 hours into Houston which is just a nice flight time for her. Thanks heaps in advance.:)

I believe that Grand Cayman and Cozumel are both 'tendering' now. Cozumel had docks, but Carnivals can't be used until April 2007 at the earliest.. Grand Cayman is always 'tendered'. Never been to Montego Bay, but I'm sure your PVP can tell you if its a 'tendered' port.. Have fun!!:)

• 2 months later...

Please help I saw on one of your previous post that you have sailed on the Triumph and were getting married in Jamaica!! I'm getting married May 27, 2006 and I cant find a decent post on the triumph. If possible is there anyway you could e-mail me some pics just so I can see how things are set up, right now I'm cluless and afraid of what we might get once we board the ship.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!

I believe that Grand Cayman and Cozumel are both 'tendering' now. Cozumel had docks, but Carnivals can't be used until April 2007 at the earliest.. Grand Cayman is always 'tendered'. Never been to Montego Bay, but I'm sure your PVP can tell you if its a 'tendered' port.. Have fun!!:)

You will be docked at Montego Bay, I think with the help of the crew your Mum will be able to get off and on the tenders, i have seen them put on and take off people in wheel chairs.

Montego Bay is a pier so that will be no problem.

Grand Cayman is always a tender and if the weather is not cooperating it could be rough waters and more difficult to board the tender.

We just returned from Cozumel last week on the Grand Princess and they are tendering most ships there for now. One ship is able to dock at the pier at a time.

Whether boarding the tender would be a problem is hard to say. Some folks on walkers are more agile than others but if you can find an itinerary with Costa Maya, Progresso, or Roatan they have piers in the western Carib.

My husband's grandmother sailed with us a few years ago. Like your mum, she uses the walking frame. You may want to make arrangements with Carnival for a wheelchair. Granny didn't use one at the first port and was worn out from the activity. At the next port, she did use the wheelchair and had a marvelous time.

Archived