Damajagua falls for the win

gcbama

Sailed on NCL Escape on 2/12 our port was Plata and we used Iguana Mama excursion company. I can’t say enough great things about Iguana Mama and Damajagua falls. We were treated great and the guides did everything to make sure our trip was fun. We did the 12 jumps and it was a great choice. We are 55 years old and not in the best of shape, it was a tough climb up but the guides took their time and we went at our own pace. Going down the falls and jumps were fantastic and a once in a lifetime chance. We also did the photo package at the falls and they sent a photographer with us and for 50 dollars he took 135 pictures and videos of us jumping and sliding through the falls. If you are thinking about this excursion go with Iguana Mama they are the best. On a side note we were scheduled for the 27 jumps but decided to switch to the 12 jumps on the bus ride up the the falls. When we got back to the ship after the excursion Iguana Mama had already credited my credit card for the change in jumps.

• Like 4

This post is perfect timing! Thank you for the review. We will be on the Escape in April and I was just reading about NCL's ship excursion to Damajagua Falls that includes waterfalls and ziplines and came here to research it. What made you decide to book privately vs going with the ship's trip?

Iguana Mama was cheaper and have been doing tours at the falls for a lot longer. Iguana Mama sends a guide with you as well you get 2 guides from the park when you get there. After we got back on the ship we talked to a few people that we saw at the falls and we compared what all we got and Iguana Mama much a much better deal. They include a buffet lunch at the base camp with authentic DR food that was one of the best meals I had. The 12 falls was a good number to do but the hike up the mountain is tough for 55 year folks that are out of shape. But our guides were great.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We also did the 12 falls with Iguana Mama.  I think we were there the day after you GCBAMA.  We were a group of 6 ranging in age from 26 to 63.  It was a very physical day.  Fitness levels ranged from no daily exercise to those that work out daily.  

The 26 year-old loved it and did both the slide and jump on the drops where that was an option.  The other 5 of us (age 56 to 63) had done canyoning in Dominica, which was even more physical than the 12 falls were because we did quite of bit of repelling and had an even longer hike out of the canyon that the walk into the canyon was for this excursion.

The jumps were higher at the falls and I, being the scardy cat that I am, took the ladders down instead.  All jumps had that option.  Thank goodness!  The slides were a blast.  I think there were 6 jumps and 6 slides. And the lunch!  We had worked up an appetite and left the buffet-style lunch stuffed.  It was a great authentic Dominican Republic meal.  Tried things I never had the opportunity to try before.  It was all so good!

Would I do it again?  Personally, no, but I said that after the Dominica canyoning excursion too.  I did the 12 falls because I caved to peer pressure and knew I would regret not accompanying my family and friends for the day.  Am I glad I did it?  YES and I would highly recommend it to those that are considering it.    YOLO!

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 8:39 AM, gcbama said:

Iguana Mama was cheaper and have been doing tours at the falls for a lot longer. Iguana Mama sends a guide with you as well you get 2 guides from the park when you get there. After we got back on the ship we talked to a few people that we saw at the falls and we compared what all we got and Iguana Mama much a much better deal. They include a buffet lunch at the base camp with authentic DR food that was one of the best meals I had. The 12 falls was a good number to do but the hike up the mountain is tough for 55 year folks that are out of shape. But our guides were great.

Thank you for that comparison, you have helped me decide!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, iluvthe-c said:

I have also done the cave tubing in Belize.  I would rate the exertion level of the tubing as a 4 and the 12 falls in the DR as an 8.  (1 being easy, relaxing and 10 being physically demanding.)

Thanks.  If that was a 4 and this will be an 8, we probably won't do it as we've been out of shape for a while. 

Edited by gclara

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember right, it was about 45 minutes on a nice bus from Taino Bay each way.  I think we were gone a total of 4 1/2 or 5 hours.  That is with a leisurely lunch and our bus making a quick pit stop at a cigar shop.

• 9 months later...

Do you need to know how to swim in order to do this excursion? My family is interested in doing the waterfalls but we are not swimmers. We have done Dunn River Falls in Jamaica, not sure if it is similar