St. Lewis in November

tgo's

I will be traveling on the Mississippi Queen from St. Paul to St. Lewis this November. This will be my first time in this part of the country and I want to ask those of you who know what weather I will be likely to find and what I should plan to wear.

Also I will have three days in St. Lewis - Nov. 8-10. What should I see and where should I eat while I am in town? I will be staying in a hotel close to the Arch, will it be easy to get arround town from here?

Thank you for your help.

Okay...I'm a state north of St. Louis and Missouri and a state south of Minnesota and St. Paul, so I can try to give you a general idea. November is a toss-up. It could be relatively warm here (I was still wearing flip-flops with my jeans through mid-November this year) or it could be winter coat weather with snow. There could be a huge difference in temperature between Minnesota and Missouri. I'd plan on jeans/pants at the very least (occassionally you'll see people in shorts, but that's for the extremely warm-blooded). It might be warm enough for t-shirts if it gets into the 50s. A sweatshirt of some kind (hooded keeps you warmer) would be a good bet and a light jacket of some kind. When in doubt, layer. Might want to prepare for snow because our first snowfall tends to fall around then. If it gets to 40 or higher, I can usually go without a coat depending on the wind

Bottom line is prepare for fall and winter weather. You could easily get both types of weather.

As for St. Louis, the only time I've spent there was 6 hours in the airport so I'm afraid I can't help you with that.

Except for the snow that sounds a lot like Seattle. I don't think I should have to much problem with pulling my packing together.

I would still love to hear from people what you would choose to do for a couple of days in St. Louis. Where are the good local places to eat, etc..?

That's what I figure. You should see some beautiful foliage at that time too, although it may be past the peak depending on spring and summere weather.

If this helps you any, the saying here is that if you don't like the weather, wait a minute and it'll change.

... and have travelled to St. Louis quite a bit. Weather normally changes from 'warm' to 'cool' around mid-October, if that helps. Snow usually waits until Thanksgiving or early December, but can happen sooner. Would recommend dressing in layers - can be wet, damp and rainy, or it can be sunny and relatively warm, as others have stated. Probably won't need a full-blown winter coat that early. Polar fleece-lined rain gear would be good, long pants - what I call "sock weather" (too cold for flip-flops, etc.)

My favorite places in St. Louis include the zoo (world-class), waterfront area (arch), and for good food visit The Hill, a well-known Italian neighborhood. Great restaurants, bakeries, Italian grocery stores, etc. If you've ever heard of Volpi salami, they're on The Hill and they have a very quaint store (fantastic proscuitto, salami, mortadella, etc.) There are several museums in the same park as the zoo, and there is also a good Science Center. If you're into anthropology and can travel a short distance into Illinois you could visit Cahokia Mounds. Nearby St. Charles, Missouri is a very nice historic community to visit, and very visitor friendly with lots of unique shops.

Archived