Canadian Service Dog - International Health Certificate Question

laneii

Hello everyone! 

I am hoping someone with experience can provide some guidance. I have read through a lot of this thread and spent much time googling but am finding that I am still unclear on the requirements for our upcoming cruise. Princess is not being very clear either using words like "recommended" instead of this is what you NEED to do.

I am an experienced cruiser but this will be my first with my service dog. He has already been approved to sail by Princess.

We chose a short, local cruise for our first one with my service dog: 2 sea days and only 1 port. Departs from Vancouver, port is in Alaska, debarks in Seattle.

We are Canadian and travel to and from the US frequently and have only ever been asked for my dog's rabies vaccine certificate. Do I require anything additional for this particular sailing? Princess is saying an international health certificate is "recommended" in case of an emergency disembarkation in an unscheduled port (not concerned about this as it would be the USA or Canada given the itinerary) but not required. And I keep reading things about an APHIS 7001 and my brain is starting to hurt! Then I also saw that Alaska requires something signed by a USDA vet (we do not have these in Canada) and I'm getting more confused as to whether any of this applies for our situation.

I don't have a lot of time to sort this out as it was a last minute booking (saw a good price and couldn't resist!) and I appreciate any insight from anyone that might be able to help me figure this out!

🙂