Service charges "confused"

Zeikah

Hi All, 

I have purchased 7 nights on Bliss which included free ta sea (beverage package, dining x2, wifi & shore credit). I am from Australia so was charged in AUS dollars. I have prepaid service charge for 2 adults $299aud which roughly is around 210usd 

It states on NCL that the service charge for beverage package is 19.80 pp that should be around 277USD for that alone without the service charge for specialty dining.

Is there another service charged at time of sailing for main dining room attendants? as I have I paid on other cruise lines!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hello @Zeikah,

The $299 AUD you paid for service charges seems spot on. Assuming you did that in the NCL portal after booking.

In the US, the Service charges for the unlimited bar are charged as a fee on your original booking. If you go back and look at your original invoice you should see a line for it there. There is also usually ~$50AUD service charge for the Specialty Dining.

The $299 you already paid covers Gratuity for servers in the main dining room, unless you feel like tipping additional cash.

OP, it is a little confusing what you are asking due to the mixture of terms and your currency conversions.  I also don't know if you are treated differently in Australia somehow.  

For a booking done within the USA, a booking that includes the Free-at-Sea promotion has:

1.  At the time of booking, a pre-paid gratuity for the Free-at-Sea beverage package.  This is a 20% charge based on the retail price of the package.  So $227.20 USD for 2 people for a 7-day cruise.

2. At the time of booking, a pre-paid gratuity for the Free-at-Sea meal package - This is a 20% charge based on the retail price of the package.  So $35.60 USD for 2 people for a 7-day cruise for the 2-meal package.

These charges are included in the total price you pay for the cruise (and should be shown as line times on the invoice) at the time of your initial booking, although a travel agent might not include them as line items if they provided a custom invoice to you.

In addition, NCL charges a Daily Service Charge (DSC) of $16/$18/$20 USD (depends on your cabin type) per day per passenger.  This DSC is essentially the gratuities for the dining room/restaurant staff, your cabin steward, their helpers, the laundry room workers, etc.  So for a 7-day cruise in a non-suite cabin this is 7 x $16 x 2 or $224 for 2 people for a 7-day cruise.  Higher for Club Balcony and Haven Suites.  In the US, this charge is not automatically included in your initially booking.  However, after the booking is made, you can pre-pay this so that you won't have to pay it at the end of your cruise.  If you don't pre-pay, it will be added daily to your on-board cruise charges and due at the end of your cruise.  

I believe, but could be wrong, in some European countries, this DSC charge IS INCLUDED in the initial cruise booking automatically.  I don't know about Australia.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thank you for the responses.

I now understand.

I have paid the extra $299aud service charge (for the dining room/restaurant staff, your cabin steward, their helpers, the laundry room workers, etc) The extra service charge for Beverage package and SD must of been in the total cost for the cruise. You are correct TA has not itemized costs.

Thanks again

46 minutes ago, Zeikah said:

Thank you for the responses.

I now understand.

I have paid the extra $299aud service charge (for the dining room/restaurant staff, your cabin steward, their helpers, the laundry room workers, etc) The extra service charge for Beverage package and SD must of been in the total cost for the cruise. You are correct TA has not itemized costs.

Thanks again

Yes. I don't think there is any chance that your Free-at-Sea gratuity hasn't already been covered.  If you have the Free-at-Sea promotion, there is no more expected gratuity when you purchase your drinks or meals.  Gratuities are always paid for at the time of booking, I'm 99% certain.  Of course, many people (especially Americans) choose to add more gratuity at the time of the drink/meal, but that is entirely optional and not expected/required.

Edited by MeHeartCruising