Warning .... cancelling a person in the cabin has an additional cost/penalty

18 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

I have my daughter booked with a TBA is case one of her friends wants to travel with us in November. How do you go about dropping the TBA at check-in?

So this is where the advice differs from when you have someone named who is a no show… 

I call to have the TBA removed. The rep on the other side can’t reasonably charge you a fee for [no person clearly exists] like they can if you were to call and say “please remove Rebekkah.”  
I simply tell the phone rep that it was always me, and It won’t let me check in because it thinks there is someone else…  (without saying more)

Obviously, YMMV

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 10:58 PM, Indytraveler83 said:

Either way, hopefully your traveling companion is feeling better and can try again once their health condition stabilizes! 

She is doing much better but I think I will just stick to solo cruises that I love. I guess I could try if I book with a $50 deposit but never the $250 again. 

On 6/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Homosassa said:

"No shows" are specifically mentioned in Carnival's Ticket Contract which is available on the website. No refunds are given for "no shows."

The information is in section 7, Cancellation by Guests and refunds

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

This is exactly what I don't understand.  It says no refunds and the cancellation is 100% of the cruise fare (if cancelling up to 14 days).  I didn't expect any refund.  But I don't see where it says there is a penalty of the deposit amount.

23 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Don't tell then at the port. Just check in and say nothing. 

I won't be in this situation again because I am not inviting anyone on my solo cruises. 😀  Trying to give someone a "free" cruise ended up costing me $250.  But if I relent, I will only do it with $50 deposit and I won't say anything at the port.  I just understood that was the way everyone did it who didn't get a penalty and I didn't want to be enjoying my cruise and get a call to guest services to explain the missing roomate.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:07 PM, Brkintx said:

I travel solo more than 50% of the time. I always book the room for two people. I leave the other person's name as the TBA that it auto-enters. by check-in time, I know whether someone is going with or not. If not, I can drop the TBA and there's not anyone no-showing and the other port taxes and fees are credited back (either as OBC or directly). If someone does come with, I can just enter their info at that point and all is well.

TLDR = leaving the ressie at double occupancy until travel time rather than booking solo is a safer bet.

I guess I can try this on my next solo cruise - just in case. I don't know why it would avoid the penalty (because I can't figure out why I got a penalty) but maybe as someone else said, the Carnival system couldn't handle solo to double to solo.  Thanks for the suggestion