Any recent reviews of DIY Jeep Tours in Skagway?

CariBear

I got a text from DIY Jeeps saying they had to upgrade us to an SUV.  I looked at Affordable car rental but couldn't figure out how to book for a specific date.  I added it to my cart but I'm not going to pay for it if I can't tell if they have any available.

Just now, Mom&MeCruiseAL said:

I got a text from DIY Jeeps saying they had to upgrade us to an SUV.  I looked at Affordable car rental but couldn't figure out how to book for a specific date.  I added it to my cart but I'm not going to pay for it if I can't tell if they have any available.

I tried calling Affordable Car Rental and did not get a reply so I emailed with the date rental needed. He replied that he was sold out for the day but put me on a waiting list.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:12 PM, futureAG said:

This is amazing!  I was excited about the jeep but I think I am even more excited about the price of this rental!  What kind of car did you have? Did you do the box lunch?

I'm not Cleocruiser, but also did the exact same trip last week - same rental dropped at the dock, same visit to the musher camp and we drove as far as Emerald Lake. We got a Ford Escape. It wasn't the latest model, but it was very clean, everything worked - I'd absolutely recommend the rental company. Booking online doesn't seem to work - I emailed and got a call back on the same day. We finished the booking over the phone. We didn't opt for the lunch. I also recommend printing out the free pdf of Murray's Guide so you know what you are seeing, if you do the drive yourself (or load the pdf on your phone). You won't have cell service for much of the drive.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:17 AM, Cleocruiser said:

We just got back and rented through Affordable car rental. Nils was great to work with and he had the car waiting at the port. We were given a code and the key was in a lock box on the car. We were able to get an early start and we were the first ones to the dog sled camp of Michelle Phillips. We spent a lot of time learning about the Iditarod and playing with the puppies. Highly recommended.

Tagish Lake Kennel tours, Join Michelle Phillips And Ed Hopkins

Affordable car rental can also pack you a picnic lunch. They own Bites on Broadway in town. We printed out a copy of Murrays guide and did our own thing all day.

We did not get asked for ArriveCan, but make sure you stop at the red light coming through customs.

There was no one there, so we pulled up to the window. I guess that was a big no no.

We parked in town after our drive a shopped for a while, then retuned the car back to the port--no walking required.  Highly recommended!

Skagway Alaska Cruise Rental Cars - Home - Affordable Car Rental (skagwaycarrental.com)

Hi, what was the car you got and price?  We're there from 6am - 5:15pm, any concerns with the timeline?  Thanks!

So DIY jeep tours is just Avis? they still have an active website that looks like you pick a car/lunch/addons from them. I am arriving in Skagway Tues 9/20 and looking for a full day rental and info on doing the drive to the Yukon on our own.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:38 PM, udamom said:

So DIY jeep tours is just Avis? they still have an active website that looks like you pick a car/lunch/addons from them. I am arriving in Skagway Tues 9/20 and looking for a full day rental and info on doing the drive to the Yukon on our own.

Right?! So confusing! I have friends who had rented and paid for a jeep with DIY and they have heard NOTHING regarding any type of change. We are in Skagway the end of August and I'm worried for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest calling to confirm your rental. We had reserved a jeep rental through DIY Jeep Tours. When this post first appeared, I was able to call and confirm my  Jeep rental. I was told the same entity owns "DIY Jeep Tours" and the local Avis franchise. When I arrived in Skagway on 7/30, a Jeep Gladiator was waiting for us. They had a number of 2 and 4 door Wranglers as well as 4 door Gladiators. The same people handle the Avis rentals and there were many SUVs. Along with the self guided binder, there was a flash drive providing narration along the way. We were also provided a coupon for lunch at a restaurant in Carcross. I highly recommend them and the views along the way were breathtaking.

We did DIY Jeep Tours on July 21 and honestly, it was a little rough for us.  It is a pretty long walk to the shed that they do share with Avis and it was taking no less than 15 minutes for each family to check in, so we waited in line for an hour to get our vehicle (and as others have said, we did not get a wrangler, but a Compass - which we knew about ahead of time).  We didn't get on the drive until maybe after 10:30 or so?  It's been a couple of weeks now so the time details are a little fuzzy looking back.
Our car was about $350-400 for the day, which is pretty insane if you think about a car rental for a few hours!  But we paid that ahead of time, so no big deal.  But when you lose an hour standing in line, it does sting a little.  Plus, not their fault at all, but we all know Quantum has been shortening days in Skagway this summer....originally we were supposed to come in at 7am.
The car wasn't all that clean inside, but it was fine enough.  The provided cooler and lunch they had originally advertised on their site is now a voucher for a place in Carcross.....which we had no time to get to because of all of the time delays, heavy fog slowing down our driving, plus another 45 minutes waiting at the Fraser land border (again, totally not their fault).  Although, I don't see that advertised on their site anymore, so they must have updated it after changing their process.  Wish I had known ahead of time, I would have packed more for us to snack on during the day!
So, I don't know that I'd do it again - I'd probably choose a tour, but it was nice having the flexibility to do the pull-offs on our own, and we did have a great time (and the weather cleared nicely) at the suspension bridge!