Binoculars recommendation

Kate-in-Canada

Luckily we have a Bushnell Factory Outlet store here so I was able to get a quality product at a discounted price, and was able to test them in store. I didn't want to pay a ton as we just don't have that many opportunities to use binocs. Ended up buying a 10x42 pair for $50 that are really good, and we both wear glasses. They have many great pairs under $100 on their website.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, Heidi13 said:

With a quick search you will find a number of other threads discussing binoculars.

The binoculars used on most ship's bridges have 7 or 8 magnification, which is the first number. As ships are constantly moving and vibrating, this is considered a happy medium between bringing objects in close and avoiding vibration. The 2nd number is the light gathering capability, with a bigger number being generally better in low light.

Personally, having used binoculars for many years, my preference is 10 x 50, with the 10-magnification working well on most cruise ships.

Another feature I have grown to like is the "Perma Focus" option. When viewing wildlife, you don't want to be messing with getting them focussed. The perma focus provides a focus from a few feet to infinity.

In addition to perma focus, another key specification is field of view. The wider field of view assists in spotting wildlife quickly, without having to scan.

My preference, over many years of use, is the Bushnell 10x50 Perma Focus. They are reasonably priced, so if they get damaged during travel, I have no problem throwing them away and buying replacement. With perma focus and a large field of view it helps spotting wildlife.

Cons - they are a fair size, which is necessary for the included features.

I have used the highly rated Bushnell 10X50 Perma Focus in Alaska. It has been the best binocular I have had.  Walmart.com has the Busnell Spectator Sport 10x50 Perma focus for $68.99.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 9:09 PM, Kate-in-Canada said:

So I have read celebrity does provided binoculars, but they aren’t good quality.

anyone have a recommendation for a good lightweight, qood quality but reasonably priced ones for alaska?

I use these:

Celestron – Nature DX 8x42 Binoculars – Outdoor and Birding Binocular – Fully Multi-coated with BaK-4 Prisms – Rubber Armored – Fog & Waterproof Binoculars – Top Pick Optics.

I bought on Amazon for $150 USD.  They are my go-to birding and outdoors binoculars.