Type of PCR test accepted by Silversea

amusea

It seems that there are several types of PCR tests and my question is whether a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, {NAAT) which I think is a rapid PCR test is accepted by Silversea.  The lack of specific information about the various types of tests that are accepted makes this whole business very confusing.

15 hours ago, amusea said:

It seems that there are several types of PCR tests and my question is whether a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, {NAAT) which I think is a rapid PCR test is accepted by Silversea.  The lack of specific information about the various types of tests that are accepted makes this whole business very confusing.

Do you want the PCR test so you can do the test 72 hours in advance, vs. 48??

You can circumvent this issue by using a home proctored antigen test. This type of test needs to be taken 48 hours in advance, and requires an internet connection. If this works for you it will be easier and faster.

When I contacted Silversea they sent me a link for acceptable antigen tests

https://store.optum.com/silversea-covid-19-tests/?utm_source=silversea-at-sea&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=&utm_campaign=optum-store-covid-tests-2022

If you NEED to do the PCR tests you should contact Silversea by phone or email for details.

Edited by pavementends
more

Thanks for these responses that have helped to clarify the issue.  Upon further investigation it seems that the key word in my query is RAPID.  If the NAAT is rapid then it is an antigen test with results in a few hours and falls under the antigen rules.  If the NAAT is sent to a lab which requires a 2 or 3 day wait for the result then it may be considered a PCR test.  Since I am interested in the rapid test that is administered at Walgreens very close to my domicile I will make sure that the test is done within 48 hours of embarkation which is the qualification for Canada cruises as specified in the Silversea website.  If there is any error in my conclusions a further reply would be welcome.

I was worried about the 48 hour time frame.  I called and asked my Silversea rep about it.   He assured me it is 2 days, not 48 hours.  That is, if we are boarding at 2pm on a Thursday, you can get the test anytime on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I was concerned that I needed to get it sometime after 2pm on Tuesday.