Excursion provider recommendations - Chasing the Northern lights small group tours in Alta and Tromso. Also seeking opinions

Hello brains trust

I am aware that a few people on here have completed independent small group (i.e 8 -12 people) excursions in Alta and Tromso to 'Chase the northern lights'.  I am seeking any recommendations for service providers/excursion companies based upon direct positive experience.  I have done some individual research and a number of prior reviews have talked about companies, who unfortunately (possibly due to covid) either no longer exist or no longer conduct excursions for these areas.  Could anyone please recommend, hopefully based on current experience/own reviews any fantastic providers I can explore.  We are on Viking's Ocean tour in January 2023.  Very little activity and minimal comments on our roll call of anyone with this information.

Whilst I am asking for reviews - how easy is it to get from Oslo to Bergen via train, with a side trip for the flam railway?  We are aware of the Norway in a Nutshell tour, however have chosen to do this independently, rather than booking this tour.  We are seasoned and very experienced travellers, both on land and sea, with no physical ailments.   We are considering an overnight in either Flam or Mrydal if this is going to be best, to break up the trip Oslo - Bergen.  However do not want to do the 'add on' excursion pre sailing offered by Viking.  I have posted this in the Viking forum and was recommended by someone to also post here as I am told there is a wealth of knowledge regarding Norway.  

TIA.

Stephanie

Few people have viewed my post for help, however no responses as yet.  I will remain hopeful as it was suggested I post here.

Anyone out there who may be able to point me in the right direction for highly rated/ reviewed excursion providers for small group, mini bus tours in either Alta or Tromso? 

You might not get that many replies. Alta is a very small town and not many cruises - most in the winter and not since 2019.

In the past it has been a problem to arrange private tours as cruise companies have used all local guides.
Try contacting the local tourist office.  Email: info@visitalta.no
More information about Alta

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

You might not get that many replies. Alta is a very small town and not many cruises - most in the winter and not since 2019.

In the past it has been a problem to arrange private tours as cruise companies have used all local guides.
Try contacting the local tourist office.  Email: info@visitalta.no
More information about Alta

Thank you for your response Hallasm, appreciate the your time to post and suggestion.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, Aussie lost in space said:

Whilst I am asking for reviews - how easy is it to get from Oslo to Bergen via train, with a side trip for the flam railway?

Very easy. You can buy your tickets here. 

https://www.vy.no/en

Personally I'd do Oslo S - Flåm one day and Flåm - Bergen the next day or the day after. Both with a change at Myrdal. Just make sure that you choose train for both legs as the planning tool might suggest a bus ride between Myrdal and Flåm. Do also remember that January gets quite dark and you want to travel in daylight, especially the part between Myrdal and Flåm, so choose your travel time carefully. Stay at for example at Fretheim Hotel for a night (or two) and enjoy Flåm.

The only drawback is that you cannot book train tickets this early. It looks like most tickets at Vy are released 120 days in advance. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, Sucellos said:

Very easy. You can buy your tickets here. 

https://www.vy.no/en

Personally I'd do Oslo S - Flåm one day and Flåm - Bergen the next day or the day after. Both with a change at Myrdal. Just make sure that you choose train for both legs as the planning tool might suggest a bus ride between Myrdal and Flåm. Do also remember that January gets quite dark and you want to travel in daylight, especially the part between Myrdal and Flåm, so choose your travel time carefully. Stay at for example at Fretheim Hotel for a night (or two) and enjoy Flåm.

The only drawback is that you cannot book train tickets this early. It looks like most tickets at Vy are released 120 days in advance. 

Thank you for your recommendation Sucellos - it has confirmed what we were considering doing.  It looks easy enough to do this on our own, without having to pay out big bucks for either the Norway in a nutshell tour or Vikings pre-cruise extensions.  Appreciate your time to post and valuable confirmatory information.