Bears, Dog Sledding in Late July?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I was booked for the last 3 yrs on various dates in early June for Alaska Northbound, with a group, and missed the group b/c something came up last minute.  I now am rebooking on my own so I have flexibility I never had before.  For a lot of reasons I've decided to do Late July, embarking on July 22.  One thing I didn't like about my original timing is that the bears wouldn't be out yet.  Will I have a better chance of seeing them in late July?  My only concern is that it might be getting too late for the dog sledding on the glacier, which is something I really wanted to do.  But the only earlier in July date with the ship and itinerary I wanted would put me flying on July 5 and I didn't want to deal with any July 4th flight crowds.  I am flexible and would be ok with doing the dog sledding on ground and glacier viewing without dogs, if necessary.  But I've mostly heard that the dog sledding on the glacier becomes unavailable in August so I thought July was ok.

You have a better chance of seeing bears later in July. They follow the salmon so when they start moving up the rivers, the bears are out more. Can't offer an opinion on the sledding on a glacier - I've done the dog sled experience on land in Seward; that is fun to see how they train and experience the dogs... also warmer.

• Thanks 1