FASUP disappeared from my reservation!

rbxlady

Cruise is 10/22 on the Getaway. We booked FASUP on 7/18, paid $686 over the phone.

On 8/17, I upgraded our booking to a 2BR suite, as the fare fell below our upgrade bids. (Good thing because the Haven is now sold out.)

Today I happened to look carefully at the cruise summary I got on 8/17, and FASUP has disappeared. It still shows that I paid $686 over the phone on 7/18, but I'm guessing that when they quoted me the cost to upgrade, they somehow invalidated the FASUP and applied the amount I paid for it toward the upgrade instead. The rep who upgraded us didn't breathe a word about making any changes to the amenities I paid for, but now I'm concerned that I'm going to have to pay another $686.

I called, and the rep can't figure out how it happened. I even asked if maybe there were Haven benefits I didn't know about that pre-empted FASUP and warranted its removal, and she said no. She tried to add FASUP to see if it would let her put it back, so to speak, and the system wants her to charge me for it. As such, she is trying to get the "resolution team" on the phone, which she said could take about an hour to get handled. So I'm on hold until whenever. Wish me luck.

Has anyone had this sort of thing happen? How did NCL resolve it?

Edited by rbxlady

Conclusion and tl;dr at bottom

Sorry to sound so dramatic, but boy, that was frustrating!

We figured out that the rep who handled the upgrade to the Haven somehow took the $686 that we paid towards Free at Sea Plus, removed it, and applied those funds to our upgrade. So when he told me the upgrade was $X, it was actually $X + $686. The cost to upgrade that he gave me sounded lower than what I calculated, but not $686 lower, so I just assumed that I had calculated incorrectly and did not realize anything was amiss. I did not get an updated amenity confirmation when I upgraded, which might've tipped me off that FASUP was now gone.

I don't know if the removal of FASUP and the application of those funds toward the upgrade was a system error, an error on the rep's part, or intentional on the rep's part. I seriously hope it was not intentional. This was my concern more than the money itself, and I told them as much today.

The resolution department said that I would have had to address this within 24 hours of our upgrade to the Haven to add FASUP and that I could no longer add it (say what?). I told them that was ridiculous, as I had no reason to suspect it was removed when nothing was said to me about it. I think the resolution department thought I was fraudulently induced into upgrading and wanted to undo it, but I explained  that I didn't want to undo the upgrade but rather wanted the FASUP issue resolved.

CONCLUSION After 2.5 hours on the phone, they told me that I had to re-purchase FASUP ($686) but offered $300 in OBC. I felt like that was close enough to splitting the difference, albeit in their favor.

tl;dr if you upgrade anything, triple check that nothing you've pre-paid has disappeared. Read your new cruise summary while you still have the rep on the phone and make sure everything that should be there, is there!

• Like 1

Had the same thing happen to me when we upgraded. Lost my paid Wi-Fi upgrade as that payment was applied to my amount owed for the upgrade. Had to signup and pay for the Wi-Fi upgrade again.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcoy said:

Had the same thing happen to me when we upgraded. Lost my paid Wi-Fi upgrade as that payment was applied to my amount owed for the upgrade. Had to signup and pay for the Wi-Fi upgrade again.  

Hopefully it’s a glitch, then, and wasn’t intentional. Still, NCL needs to fix it. The disappearance of a nearly $700 amenity, especially without sending an updated amenity confirmation, which you think is already done and paid for is rather disconcerting. I’d have been livid (and embarrassed) if I didn’t figure it out until I tried to use it on board and got denied!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Thank you both for this information!  It certainly pays to double-check after making additions/changes.

You’re welcome! I‘m glad my minor freakout was helpful 🙂 Now I know to always always always check that cruise summary every single time I do something!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, KatHaven said:

Does this FASUP have to be purchased prior to boarding?

Here is what The T&C lists:

Terms & Conditions
Free at Sea choice(s) must be selected at least 24 hours prior to sailing and cannot be changed on board. Bookings made within 24 hours to departure can choose promotion at time of booking
Singles paying 200% of voyage fare qualify however are not entitled to the additional Shore Excursion Credit
Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at anytime
Anything consumed above the promotional benefit will be the responsibility of the guest at prevailing rates
Offer is for new individual FIT reservations
Qualifying new individual FIT reservations can be moved into an existing FS or Traditional group and count towards tour conductor credits excluding Sailaway categories
Offer is for new speculative groups delegates (Club Balcony Suite categories and below)
Promotion cannot be held as a new or existing traditional or FS group block
Promotion is not applicable to Traditional Groups/Type: CHARTERS, CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE
Promotion is not applicable to FS Groups: Affinity, Nettour or NettourC (classification type)

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Thank you both for this information!  It certainly pays to double-check after making additions/changes.

I have learned to recalculate what the new total price should be after any changes before I contact NCL.  If it's a minor diff, I figure it's tax or something.  If it is bigger, I have the rep go line by line to figure out what happened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I have learned to recalculate what the new total price should be after any changes before I contact NCL.  If it's a minor diff, I figure it's tax or something.  If it is bigger, I have the rep go line by line to figure out what happened.

Smart moves!  We do the same.