Civitavecchia…Hotel, testing, bus to port

CRUIS4ME

We flew from US to Rome and transferred via taxi yesterday.   Two nights in Civitavecchia at Museum Guest House.   Non stop flight on United from IAD was just fine…only 8 Hrs…got us to Rome with our luggage.  Booked Romeincabs and they were waiting outside customs where we immediately walked with driver to the van.   Ride to Citi. was comfortable, 45 mins, and 140 Euro.    Booked Museum Guest House which is small but ever so clean, modern, air condition, and good location. (Not far.. across the gate at the fort).  Fredericko was the owner, gave a warm welcome, gave us the city map with full briefing and very available for questions.   Since we got here on Sunday…we walked around to find bearings and where to get Covid tests, etc.   Covid testing is quite easy and readily available at several pharmacies.   The one we walked to was about a five minute walk, go into pharmacy with ID, they fill out paperwork and we paid 15 Euro.   Went to a tent around the corner, had test taken and within ten minutes went back to pharmacy.   They gave us the results paper with negative clearly marked, stamped the paperwork (I guess to make it official) and signed it.   
We spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the shuttle bus to ship routine.   There are green busses (city bus)  to take you to a white bus which is the official “ship shuttle bus”. There are only two places to get the white shuttle bus and several places to catch the green city bus.  One can walk through the port gate to a traffic circle where there is a city bus station to wait for the green bus.  It costs 3 euro to ride to the other end of town to catch the white shuttle bus.  We really reconned the routes and almost paid to ride the green busses just to understand how to make it all happen.  So it would have costed us 6 Euro to try the bus out and then another 6 Euro to ride the bus with bags tomorrow…12 Euro on this scenario.   What we figured is we didn’t want to schlep a large suitcase and on board bag over cobblestones, crossing at crosswalks dodging traffic, loading bags on one bus, off loading, and then loading bags on another bus.  We would arrive at the port terminal in a frenzy, sweaty, and irritable.   We arranged a taxi to pick us up at the hotel…there is another couple that will share the taxi…cost would be 15 Euro each couple.   That, to me, will be worth the convenience.  We go to the port tomorrow.   Thought I would post this while we were in hotel just to post something about the shuttle and Covid in Civitavecchia.   Hope it helps others to plan.   

Edited by CRUIS4ME
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for all of this information.  I am sailing from Civitavecchia on October 1 and will need in-person Covid testing because the sailing visits and disembarks in Greece, so it's good to know all of the pharmacies offer inexpensive testing.  As for the taxi, did the hotel help you or were you able to find one on the street?  We are staying in more of a B&B which doesn't have a concierge and I am seriously considering taking a cab instead of figuring out the bus system.  I can see on the map where the circle is to pick up the bus, but it is a little farther than I'd like to move the luggage.

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Thank you for all of this information.  I am sailing from Civitavecchia on October 1 and will need in-person Covid testing because the sailing visits and disembarks in Greece, so it's good to know all of the pharmacies offer inexpensive testing.  As for the taxi, did the hotel help you or were you able to find one on the street?  We are staying in more of a B&B which doesn't have a concierge and I am seriously considering taking a cab instead of figuring out the bus system.  I can see on the map where the circle is to pick up the bus, but it is a little farther than I'd like to move the luggage.

The museum Guest House is a one man show…small. He was totally helpful.  Explained the bus system and we checked it out.  When I next saw Fredericko, we asked him to arrange a taxi to the port.  He immediately got on his phone, called the taxi and confirm,d time for pickup, showed us a picture of the driver and explained the color of van to expect.   So great service.   Pharmacies are readily available for testing.   Sunday afternoon they pretty much closed down but we’re open at 8 am Monday.   One little pharmacy did not do the test but the lady walked us to the door and explained where the pharmacy that did the test was located.   Very helpful.   

• Thanks 1

With the Odyssey coming in tomorrow morning, the city was hopping with people who I would bet were fellow cruisers.   Lots of restaurants … dinner started about 7 pm at most places which was nice, weather was cooler and sunset was inviting.   

3 hours ago, Beverley792 said:

We are cruising out of there on October 1 and will be staying 2 nights before.  Our plan was to find a pharmacy to do the Covid test as well.  

Taking a taxi seems to be the best way honestly.

Regal Princess by any chance?