Route 440 closure going towards Bayonne

lovesNY

I understand route 440 going towards Bayonne will be closed for the next several weeks.   We will be heading to Bayonne from Interstate 80E for a Sept 11 departure on the Oasis.

anyone have any info on this?   Detour???

5 hours ago, lovesNY said:

I understand route 440 going towards Bayonne will be closed for the next several weeks.  

Were you planning on using 440? From what I read, there should be no impact as the closure is in Jersey City not Bayonne. 

The best route to Cape Liberty from the NJTP (avoids 440) is to stay left as you pay the toll at exit 14A.  Go up the ramp, follow signs for '440/Chosin Few Way'. Go right onto Chosin Few Way where it splits from 440. Chosin Few Way to the end (no traffic lights). Left on Goldsborough Drive to the terminal.

You could use either 440 or Avenue E when you exit the NJTP but Chosin Few Way is the best and easiest route. 

On 8/30/2022 at 4:00 AM, meadowlander said:

Were you planning on using 440? From what I read, there should be no impact as the closure is in Jersey City not Bayonne. 

The best route to Cape Liberty from the NJTP (avoids 440) is to stay left as you pay the toll at exit 14A.  Go up the ramp, follow signs for '440/Chosin Few Way'. Go right onto Chosin Few Way where it splits from 440. Chosin Few Way to the end (no traffic lights). Left on Goldsborough Drive to the terminal.

You could use either 440 or Avenue E when you exit the NJTP but Chosin Few Way is the best and easiest route. 

The only issue I've had with Chosin Few Way is that at the end, making the left onto Goldsborough takes a while, particularly on a cruise turnaround day.  Lots of cars going both ways on Goldsborough and waiting for a gap to get across was stressful.  It's a stop sign, not a light and it took me a good 10-15 minutes, waiting behind a line of cars all trying to make that left (this was at 10am on a turnaround day). 

I've found 440 from the Turnpike/Route 78 exit much quicker. One light shortly after the toll booth and then no lights until you get to Goldsborough which has a left hand turning lane and a green arrow.  

For the OP, the construction zone is North of there, just past the Turnpike.  It's in Jersey City, just starting at the Bayonne border.  You won't encounter it between the Turnpike/Route 78 and the cruise port.

image.thumb.png.540cda9deea5c2d0fcc4c10041c59146.png

On 9/4/2022 at 5:32 PM, Secretlyfi said:

The only issue I've had with Chosin Few Way is that at the end, making the left onto Goldsborough takes a while, particularly on a cruise turnaround day.  Lots of cars going both ways on Goldsborough and waiting for a gap to get across was stressful.  It's a stop sign, not a light and it took me a good 10-15 minutes, waiting behind a line of cars all trying to make that left (this was at 10am on a turnaround day). 

10-15 minutes? Wow! You have much more patience than me. I would have made a right turn at the intersection than made a quick left into the Starbucks and CVS parking lot so I could turn around and head to the terminal by making a right onto Goldsborough, if I ever encountered such a backup.

I was at that intersection recently at 10am on turnaround day, nowhere near the spectacle you encountered. I was on the ship at 10:35 (25 minutes earlier than my boarding time). I feel bad for those who may have waited 15 minutes to make a left turn. I do not want to imagine what a delay that would cause for crusiers using Goldsborough Drive who came behind you.

To the OP, ignore the road signs that indicate 440 is the route to Cape Liberty. Chosin Few Way is the route to use.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 3:22 PM, meadowlander said:

10-15 minutes? Wow! You have much more patience than me. I would have made a right turn at the intersection than made a quick left into the Starbucks and CVS parking lot so I could turn around and head to the terminal by making a right onto Goldsborough, if I ever encountered such a backup.

I was at that intersection recently at 10am on turnaround day, nowhere near the spectacle you encountered. I was on the ship at 10:35 (25 minutes earlier than my boarding time). I feel bad for those who may have waited 15 minutes to make a left turn. I do not want to imagine what a delay that would cause for crusiers using Goldsborough Drive who came behind you.

To the OP, ignore the road signs that indicate 440 is the route to Cape Liberty. Chosin Few Way is the route to use.

Up to you.  This was today’s turnaround day delay at 10:30. You can only do the Starbucks trick once you reach the corner and as I said, it’s a long line of cars to get there. Chosin Few is 1 lane in each direction.

BE304576-AF53-4864-B926-E32156FBC947.png

36 minutes ago, Secretlyfi said:

Up to you.  This was today’s turnaround day delay at 10:30. You can only do the Starbucks trick once you reach the corner and as I said, it’s a long line of cars to get there. Chosin Few is 1 lane in each direction.

Do you go to Cape Liberty to board on any day other than 'turnaround day'?

Perhaps you cannot make a right at the intersection of Chosin Few Way & Goldsborough but there is space for 2 lanes of traffic & I have been in the left turn lane with cars in the right turn lane. Then again you find it stressful to make a left turn at that intersection, I am not surprised you would think there is not space for two lanes of turning.

I have sailed 6 times from Bayonne since October 2021, not once have I seen a 15 minute line of vehicles on Chosin Few Way attempting to turn onto Goldsborough. Never have i spent as long as 60 seconds at that intersection on turnaround day or any other day. My most recent occasion it took all of 30 seconds. I and many other drivers do not share the stress you  have at making a left turn. If you find 440 easier, use it. Drivers on Chosin Few Way will appreciate not having a timid driver holding up traffic due to fear of making a simple turn.

The first boarding time for Oasis is 10 am. Recently I had the first boarding time for Adventure, which was at 11 am. I was on the ship at 10:35 am. The majority of disembarking passengers are away from Cape Liberty by 10 am. There is not a continuous line of cars departing from the terminal turning right onto Chosin Few  Way at 10 am and later to keep any vehicle at that intersection for 15 minutes as you claim.