Beaches?

rubato

What is the best beach in Progreso? I have a 6 year old, and we just want to play in the sand and ocean and lay out. I basically just want a chair and some shade at some point. We're coming in on the Elation this month. Thanks.

It's really one long beach. The water is great for kids to play in since it's shallow quite a ways out. Not crystal clear because of the small wave action keeping the water stirred up and somewhat murky.

Are there chairs available? Is one part of the beach better than another? I've heard that once you get off the pier, the beach is pretty much right there. Is it that easy to get to? Thanks again.

The beach is three blocks from the plaza the courtesy bus will drop you. The restaurants along the Malecon (seaside street) have very good food, especially the fish and seafood. So fresh.

This should help you understand what is offered in Progreso and using the index other areas close by.

http://yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-progreso.htm

Hola Robato,

Another option is to take the tour that they will tell you about on the bus to town. They have an private resort about 20 or 30 minutes from town that is pretty plush. It has a nice beach for junior to roll around on and a huge, gorgeous pool where you can sit back and take advantage of the open bar.. There is also a volleyball net and an area with kiddie toys. You also have the option to go to Xcambo, some small Mayan ruins. I bet junior would love it. I think that it cost $30 @, plus it is only for about 3 hours which leaves you time to shop in town.

We were in Progresso last week. If you want an inexpensive beach day by all means stay at the beach in Progresso. The restaurants on the Malecon all have tables and umbrellas on the beach. It costs no more there than it does in the reasaurant. The drinks and food are very inexpensive and you can spend some time there on the beach -playing in the sand and water for just a drink and some guacamole or some such. If you wish try the civeche--it if fantastic.

Have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading yesterday some of these posts, their was one that listed an email address to a english speaking tour guide in Progreso, was it one of your post? we went in January and visited Merida with a non-english speaking driver and it was difficult. We are going April 8th again and want to set up someone who can speak English...thanks

Archived