Picky detail about Royal Caribbean VISA points

I use our Royal Caribbean VISA for everything cruise-related -- including parking at the Miami port.  You know, double points; I do try to spend efficiently /try to maximize rewards where I can. 

When my credit card bill came in, I realized the parking money goes to the Miami Port -- not to Royal Caribbean.  No double points.

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I use our Royal Caribbean VISA for everything cruise-related -- including parking at the Miami port.  You know, double points; I do try to spend efficiently /try to maximize rewards where I can. 

When my credit card bill came in, I realized the parking money goes to the Miami port -- not to Royal Caribbean.  No double points.

Yep, that's true about most, if not all, major ports (air or sea), the port authority owns and usually contracts out the management of the parking.  Wish I would have know that that was what you planned on, I'd warn you against it.  But, you did get one point per dollar, though. LOL

For general consumption:

I'd advise against purchasing anything in the terminals, kiosks with the intent on getting double BoA points.  Check them out first, they may be run by the Port or a private entity paying the port for space.  I think a good rule of thumb, although not engraved in stone, if the kiosk is not selling Royal logo'ed merchandise, it's probably not directly connected to Royal.  It's possible too that some Royal Logo stuff, surplus/outdated, isn't connected to Royal, financially, too. It can be tricky.  I'd ask before I buy.  BTW, the terminal is an extension of the ship while the ship is there, the ship is cashless.  So, if Royal has a kiosk or photo locations, they'd be using your boarding pass for your purchases, again, that's not engraved in stone. 

JMHO/YMMV 

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, that's true about most, if not all, major ports (air or sea), the port authority owns and usually contracts out the management of the parking.  Wish I would have know that that was what you planned on, I'd warn you against it.  But, you did get one point per dollar, though. LOL

For general consumption:

I'd advise against purchasing anything in the terminals, kiosks with the intent on getting double BoA points.  Check them out first, they may be run by the Port or a private entity paying the port for space.  I think a good rule of thumb, although not engraved in stone, if the kiosk is not selling Royal logo'ed merchandise, it's probably not directly connected to Royal.  It's possible too that some Royal Logo stuff, surplus/outdated, isn't connected to Royal, financially, too. It can be tricky.  I'd ask before I buy.  BTW, the terminal is an extension of the ship while the ship is there, the ship is cashless.  So, if Royal has a kiosk or photo locations, they'd be using your boarding pass for your purchases, again, that's not engraved in stone. 

JMHO/YMMV 

We bought a lanyard once in a port. Admittedly some time ago. It was credit/debit card only. Not on sea pass card as you don’t get those until you get on ship. It was charged to port on our card - not RC .

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

We bought a lanyard once in a port. Admittedly some time ago. It was was credit/debit card only. Not on sea pass card as you don’t get those until you get on ship. It was charged to port on our card - not RC .

Yep, that is right! 

Just one fine point, your boarding pass can be used in lieu of a Set Sail Card that you don't get until you can go to your cabin, when it's ready and get it out of the mail box outside of your cabin.  If a kiosk, in the terminal, is actually part of the Royal ship, I'm sure your "boarding pass" can be used just like you can use it, on the ship, at the bars/restaurants/ice cream shops, et al, if open, on embarkation day.

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, that is right! 

Just one fine point, your boarding pass can be used in lieu of a Set Sail Card that you don't get until you can go to your cabin, when it's ready and get it out of the mail box outside of your cabin.  If a kiosk, in the terminal, is actually part of the Royal ship, I'm sure your "boarding pass" can be used just like you can use it, on the ship, at the bars/restaurants/ice cream shops, et al, if open, on embarkation day.

Yes boarding passes accepted onboard. 

shoreside the port vendor was selling lanyards but was only interested in credit/ debit cards no boarding pass permitted. It as the only sailing we have actually ever seen lanyards for sale inside the terminal. There are a couple of terminals I have seen vending machines for drinks/ snacks but they were cash/ card only.

none of the ports I have been out of lately sold any merchandise in the terminal. 

1 minute ago, Spurschick said:

Yes boarding passes accepted onboard. 

shoreside the port vendor was selling lanyards but was only interested in credit/ debit cards no boarding pass permitted. It as the only sailing we have actually ever seen lanyards for sale inside the terminal. There are a couple of terminals I have seen vending machines for drinks/ snacks but they were cash/ card only.

none of the ports I have been out of lately sold any merchandise in the terminal. 

I always wait until I'm on the ship to purchase lanyards and the like, if needed.  I don't like shopping at kiosks, here today, gone tomorrow.  I don't even like shopping in the kiosks in the middle of the Promenade.  Yes, I know they are nothing more than the shops bringing stuff out.  It's just a thing of mine.  I guess it's the usual crowds, which I dislike crowds, and the rudeness that goes on.

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I always wait until I'm on the ship to purchase lanyards and the like, if needed.  I don't like shopping at kiosks, here today, gone tomorrow.  I don't even like shopping in the kiosks in the middle of the Promenade.  Yes, I know they are nothing more than the shops bringing stuff out.  It's just a thing of mine.  I guess it's the usual crowds, which I dislike crowds, and the rudeness that goes on.

Us too - but our daughter saw one she really liked and couldn’t guarantee it would be available on board so we just went ahead and purchased it.

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 1