Could anyone help please with P&O Encounter evening dining options?

temani

Filling in our details before cruising in late November, we are asked to pre-determine what time we want our evening meal.

We are given the option of 'early' beginning at 5pm, 'late' beginning at 7.30pm or 'I will decide when onboard'.

This is of course for the non-speciality restaurants. Apparently if we choose a specific time, we will then be shuffled around The Waterfront, Angelos and Dragon Lady during our seven night cruise. Are things really that rigid?  We had to take very early times each night on the old Aria and so missed sailaway from some nice ports.  If we leave our options until onboard, will be be able to get 'anytime dining'?  We don't want to miss any shows either and so far can't find out at what time these are on. We have therefore left this part of our filling-in blank for now.

Thanks for any advice given.

Temani

We booked the early timeslot and usually turned up at the dining room at 5.30-5.40. When we cruised at the end of August into September, P&O were not seating people at shared tables unless they were travelling together. In lots of ways the set-up was like traditional dining in that we were taken to the same table every night we were in the Waterfront. The waiters were great.

We were able to get to the show. I wouldn't leave booking until you board unless you like the late dinner slot.

We were booked into the specialty restaurants (Angelos and Dragon Lady) alternately with the Waterfront. We aren't keen on Asian food so we swapped back to the Waterfront for that night. Angelos is superb. I would happily dine there every night except for the fact that it would mean repeating the menu.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your help Aus Traveller. We know now what we'll opt for. As you say, the 'alternative' restaurants may not be for everyone, but we'll see what happens.

We haven't even been allocated our balcony cabin yet!  Usually like to choose our own when we first book. Again, we'll see what happens as there's only a few weeks to go.

Just now, temani said:

Thanks so much for your help Aus Traveller. We know now what we'll opt for. As you say, the 'alternative' restaurants may not be for everyone, but we'll see what happens.

We haven't even been allocated our balcony cabin yet!  Usually like to choose our own when we first book. Again, we'll see what happens as there's only a few weeks to go.

We booked a guarantee balcony on our 5th Nov cruise and also on one on 28th August. On both, we received an email notification of our cabin around nine days prior to the cruise. Co-incidentally we have the same cabin next week that we had in August. It is in a fantastic location, but the air-con wasn't good. I hope it has been fixed.

I suggest you try Angelos restaurant. The decor is lovely and the food is superb. From memory, I think they changed the menu half way through the seven-day cruise. We enjoyed what we had on our first visit and were looking forward to having it again - particularly the potato soup. It doesn't sound appetizing, but it is great. However, the menu was different on our second visit.

10 minutes ago, temani said:

Aus Traveller, thank you again. Not worrying now about the cabin!  Will definitely try Angelos.  Wishing you a great cruise next week and would welcome your comments on return home.

Thank you. I will post a short review when we get home. This cruise will be interesting as it is the first one into Port Vila after the COVID shut-down. I don't want to call it a 'pause'. If it was, it was a veeeeery looooong pause.