1 day in Anchorage vs. 1 day in Seward

the cruise is on

In late May, early June, we will be spending 2 weeks touring Seattle, Anchorage, Mt. McKinley, Denali, and then on to a Princess Cruise. I am a constant reader of the CC Alaska board, and noticed quite a bit of conversation regarding Kenai Fjords and Seward. Therefore, I did a little research, and I'm now wondering if I should make a little change in plans.

Right now, we are scheduled to spend two nights in Anchorage. I'm wondering if we should rent a car when we arrive in Anchorage and drive to Seward where we could spend one night. I'm specifically interested in doing a tour of Kenai Fjords National Park. Once we've spent our day in the Seward area, we could drive back to Anchorage spend the night at the Captn Cook and then begin the tour portion of our cruise.

I'm looking for advice as to whether this makes sense - how long a drive is it from Anchorage to Seward? Has anyone taken National Park tour - if so was it worth the time and effort? Which tour group did you use?

I'm having difficulty deciding what to do for a day in Anchorage - that doesn't involve leaving the city. So, if going to Seward for that day makes sense why not do that instead.

I know you will tell me I need more time, but this is all the time I have. Thanks for any help and advice you can provide.

Hello,

I live in Anchorage. I highly recommend you go to Seward. The trip is about 132 miles, over good highway. It takes a couple of hours if you don't stop (you will) and is extremely scenic. You can stop in Girdwood to view that community (downhill ski area), stop in Portage and view the visitor's center and maybe see the glacier if it hasn't retreated up around the corner. Probably see moose somewhere along the way. Will definately see eagles as the hooligan (smelt like) fish are running and the eagles will be following them in.

The cruise is even better than the road for scenic. There is nothing in Anchorage to do that will compare to this. And it is very easy to do in an overnight trip. If you are going to be in Seward over Memorial day weekend, you may have a problem finding lodging. Fishing for King salmon and Halibut are both peaking, and it will be full of people from Anchorage.

Scott

Thanks! That is great information. I have a couple of questions - it appears that the Hotel Edgewater has availability on the night we are interested in. Any info that you can share on that hotel? Does the National Park have their own tours, or would we be better off doing an independent? Major Marine Tours has a nice add in the Seward guide - but ......

There are many tourboat operators in Seward including Major Marine, Allen Marine, Reknown, Mariah, and Kenai Fjords (the largest).

Tours range from a few hours to an all day excursion. Only the longer trips actually go into the park while the wildlife tours confine themselves to Resurrection Bay.

Another day cruise option is Whittier and western Prince William Sound. Tour operators include 26 Glaciers, Prince William Sound cruises and tours, and Major Marine.

You'll see more glaciers on the Whittier excursions vs. more wildlife on the Seward excursion.

The Edgewater is a good choice in Seward since you are quite near the Alaska Sealife Center.

It makes a long day but the Alaska Railroad runs an excursion from Anchorage to Seward that includes the national park boat trip. The railroad goes through some pretty spectacular scenery. As for the length of the trip, you leave Anchorage at 6:45am and return around 10pm so it is a long one!

If you choose to stay in Anchorage, be sure to visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center. However, the day cruises are really special.

Yes, definately get to Seward, allow 3 hours for the drive. I suggest you do your sightseeing and stops on the way down, once you get to Seward, see the city, http://www.sewardak.com Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, Seavey's sled dogs etc. overnight, next day get an early morning Kenai fjords boat tour.

You have the wrong idea about trips there, you need a boat and longer is always better, all are independent. I go with Alaska Heritage the most http://www.kenaifjords.com but have also gone with Major Marine. As already mentioned, there are several others.

You need at least 6 hours on the water. There are some 8,9am tours to consider. Then you are back mid afternoon and plenty of time to drive back to Anchorage. I never recommend Seward as a day trip.

Thanks! That is great information. I have a couple of questions - it appears that the Hotel Edgewater has availability on the night we are interested in. Any info that you can share on that hotel? Does the National Park have their own tours, or would we be better off doing an independent? Major Marine Tours has a nice add in the Seward guide - but ......

Lots of lodging choices in Seward. Edgewater wouldn't be my 1st pick mainly because of price. You might also have trouble finding parking. There is on street,but their own parking lot is 2 blocks away. Construction in that area may have started by then. They are planning on building a huge National Park center next door and across the street. Some fencing has been put up already. Might be something to consider and/or ask about as time gets closer.

Major Marine is my favorite larger tour operator, but they all go in the same water and basically see same things. Renown has the 2 for 1 in the toursaver book this year.

Thanks to all who responded. We have reserved a car at the Anchorage airport and will drive to Seward. We did decide to stay at the Edgewater (this is my husband's trip of a lifetime, so I'm trying not to let price matter too much!). We'll spend the rest of that afternoon and evening seeing the Seward sights. The next morning, we will go on a 6 hour tour offered by Kenaifjords (wildlife viewing is a must for him). Then back to Anchorage for the next night.

Its great to have advice from those of you who live in Alaska or who have traveled there many times. We will be spending a total of two weeks on this trip. Its obvious to me that even a month-long trip will not allow you to see and do everything. Maybe we can do this again when we both retire, but if we take longer than 2 weeks we may be retired involuntarily!

Thanks again!

Archived