are there buffets on the outside deck ever?

luckyinpa

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I cannot think of any ship I have sailed which did not have outdoor seating very close to their primary buffet.

One of the best innovations on cruise ships for those who choose to dine outside of the buffet restaurant are the automatic doors to the outside seating!  Trying to handle plates (trays?  what are those anymore?) and deal with doors that one has to push open can be difficult for some guests.  

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Some cruise lines do handle this quite well.  In MSC's Yacht Club,  there is an indoor/outdoor buffet (with a permanent covered buffet with grill and staff) which also is staffed with plenty of waiters.  If one does not want to dine in the dedicated indoor restaurant they can opt to sit at outdoor tables (with large umbrellas) and enjoy the nearby buffet along with table service.   Seabourn also has an indoor/outdoor buffet within a few feet of their outdoor hot tubs and pool.  One can be outside in their swim wear, go to the buffet (hot and cold) or take advantage of the available table service.  They also have an indoor Lido with a larger buffet (and table service) which has another covered outdoor dining area on the aft of the vessel.  This gives cruisers many different options to suit their mood and the current weather.  On those cruise lines we will sometimes go to the indoor restaurant for a nice breakfast and later, while relaxing in a lounger near the pool, we might grab another light breakfast snack.  

To us, one of the benefits of cruising are the many options for dining.  On most of the lines we cruise there are indoor, outdoor, table service, and buffet options.  On many ships there are actually multiple buffet options such as on Celebrity where they have the usual expansive Lido area, but also have a smaller "healthy" buffet at their indoor pool area.    

The "appeal" as you put it might be a morning when I simply put on a swim suit, head to an outdoor lounger, and grab some breakfast (from the nearby buffet) to enjoy poolside.  On other days we might want to have a more formal indoor or outdoor breakfast with a group of friends.  I prefer to have the options rather than being forced to fit fewer more stringent options.  

Hank

Thank you for your perspective. To be perfectly honest, grabbing lunch without grabbing a coverup and sandals from my bag has never occurred to me. Not for me but I can see the appeal.