Eurodam or Norwegian for Alaskan Cruise (3 Travelers, 2 cabins)

daddie0

My sister and I are treating my 72 year old father to his life long dream of an Alaskan cruise June of 2023. We want him to have his own room and a balcony. We are somewhat indifferent if we have a balcony, but would like to be connected or close to him. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have only cruised once and the rest have never cruised so we are not very knowledgeable on what to do. I don't think there are 2 bedroom cabins either that I could tell. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

We have used NCL in 2011 and in 2022 for an Alaskan cruise and enjoyed both very much. On the NCL the only two bedroom cabins are in the Haven and the cost is much higher. But the Haven is great and you are treated like kings and queens. 

3 hours ago, daddie0 said:

My sister and I are treating my 72 year old father to his life long dream of an Alaskan cruise June of 2023. We want him to have his own room and a balcony. We are somewhat indifferent if we have a balcony, but would like to be connected or close to him. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The Eurodam has connecting verandah cabins near midship on Deck 5. Here are photos of one of them (appears the photos were taken in 2014, while the ship had a drydock in 2021 -- so some decor items may be different). The connecting cabin would look just the same but a mirror-image left to right. The bed may be made up as two twins.

https://halfacts.com/5090-eurodam/

I would favor Holland America for the Crows Nest on Observation Deck, the full promenade (board-walk) on Promenade Deck, and Lincoln Center Stage (talented classical music performers) on the Lower Promenade Deck (and sometimes in the main theatre for the evening performance). 

ETA: checking the itineraries, I see one thing that might sway me to the NCL Encore, and that is it calls at Skagway. Now, I do prefer Sitka overall, but if your father happens to LOVE railroads, the train trip at Skagway is very worthwhile! I recommend the Train Up/Bus Back for two points of view!

Edited by crystalspin

4 hours ago, daddie0 said:

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I notice that both the N.Bliss and the N.Encore carry about two-times the passengers as the Eurodam. The equivalent deck (second deck-of-cabins up from the public decks) is Deck 10. Compared to the Verandah Deck on Eurodam which is Deck 5. There are two elevator/stairwells on the NCL ships with 8 elevators each. There are three stairwell locations on the Eurodam with 4-6-4 elevators. The connecting cabins on the decks I looked at on the NCL ships have a large glass shower (no tub); on the Eurodam they have a shower in a shallow tub (with a curtain).

What other things would you like to know?