Anchorage car rental.

chabre

I am planning to rent a car before or after the cruise in Anchorage to have 5 days land tour on our own. But its really expensive! Like $170 a day por a compact car.

Any of you have a rental place you recommend with cheaper fares?

We have National car perks so we use a combo of free rentals and pay for days. Sadly there isn't a secret, Alaska is know for high priced car rentals and they can sell out. So I'd suggest locking down a car that includes a cancellable option, incase you make alternate plans. 

Patty

Last summer we had a serious shortage of rental cars in our state, as did many other areas of the US.

Some folks have investigated renting U-Haul vehicles.  While U-Haul is a self-moving company which has vehicles such as small moving vans, they also have some 8 passenger vans.  Last summer we were driving  to Chena Hot Springs Resort and actually saw one of their rental vans on the road -- folks would stop at scenic pull-outs and take photos.

22 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Last summer we had a serious shortage of rental cars in our state, as did many other areas of the US.

Some folks have investigated renting U-Haul vehicles.  While U-Haul is a self-moving company which has vehicles such as small moving vans, they also have some 8 passenger vans.  Last summer we were driving  to Chena Hot Springs Resort and actually saw one of their rental vans on the road -- folks would stop at scenic pull-outs and take photos.

Yes, I also read somewhere to rent Uhaul, I just checked the Uhaul site, but they only have cargo vans. But we are 3, if we were only 2, that might be a good option.