Carnival Spirit Wifi Speeds (Recent)?

jetteh22

Hi! 

I am going on the Carnival Spirit this Saturday for 8 days. I am just wondering if anybody has been on it recently with wifi and how their internet speeds were overall. I know Carnival wifi sucks in general but I paid for the premium package in hopes that I can at least get like 1 mbps to be able to check my emails, respond to clients, help my employee if they have any issues, maybe chat via iMessage or SnapChat, etc. 

I saw a post in June where somebody said the internet wasn't usable for a couple of days but someone else had mentioned for Alaska cruises (not Carribbean) the curvature of the earth makes the internet not work sometimes so I'm hoping it's at least usable because not being around for my employee to reach me in case there's an emergency with one of my clients is terrifying. 

If all you are going to be doing is checking emails and using messaging, you don't need the premium package.

I have used the internet service on at least a half-dozen different ships with the basic package, and have never had a problem.

I was on for 33 days from September to October this year. 

I had no issues with internet in Alaska which I was prepared to deal with due to how far north we were.

On the Panama Canal crossing it slowed down and finally went out completely for I believe 3 or 4 days. I received what amounted to about a 40% refund but guest services made me work for it acting like there was no issue despite it being a ship wide outage.

When it came back it was basically unusable and frequently had speeds that were slower than dial up when I did a speed test.

I still purchased it in the Caribbean because I require it for work. 

It was still slow after docking in Miami twice where I would think the speed issue could have been resolved.

Then it went down completely again. This time no amount of haggling would get me a reimbursement despite about 30 hours of no wifi. They simply would not budge.

When it came back speed was what i would call normal. 

So in theory it is ok now but it was fine when I boarded so keep in mind it could crash again at be useless for you. Literally the worse wifi I have experienced on any carnival ship.

Good luck, it's a great ship other than that.

• Like 1

I was on the Spirit last week (Thanksgiving week). We got the premium package because we wanted to stream football games. It was pretty spotty for that, though some people did have better luck streaming games. Maybe it caused a bandwidth overload?

For checking email and doing easy work things, you should have no problem. I wouldn't schedule any zoom calls though!