NCL Alaska Rail Use

Tahoe1840

We're heading to Alaska in June on NCL out of Vancouver. We are going to do the Denali by Rail land excursion and was wondering if anyone has done this and specifically which dome rail car did NCL use? We think they use the Wilderness Express cars coupled to the rear of the line. Can anyone help?

On 12/19/2022 at 10:13 AM, Tahoe1840 said:

We're heading to Alaska in June on NCL out of Vancouver * * * and was wondering * * * specifically which dome rail car did NCL use? We think they use the Wilderness Express cars coupled to the rear of the line.

From the description provided by NCL, it appears that it sends its passengers on Alaska Railroad railcars. This makes sense given the history of the Wilderness Express cars, operated by Premier Alaska Tours, having been associated with a competitor of NCL, Royal Caribbean Cruises. However, I cannot speak from experience. You appear to be aware already that the Alaska Railroad "Denali Star" and the "Wilderness Express" are combined into a single consist, and that operations (and sightseeing) will be identical, with the primary differences being minor distinctions in Ultra Dome car configuration, quality of onboard service provided (e.g., meals included or not), and access to other cars in the consist.

• Like 1

The consists I have seen on the Alaska RR Denali Star route are the locomotives followed

by a baggage car and then the Alaska RR cars (Gold Star Domes and coaches) then the

White Wilderness Express cars and at the end the Holland-America Princess cars.

When leaving Fairbanks the tracks curve such that one can see almost all the cars in the

consist and then enroute to Anchorage there are several other notable points the main

one being at Nenana. 

This is not always the case - the consists may have different scheme but the Alaska RR

cars will for the most part will always be at the lead end of the train.

Of note the Wilderness Express cars are premium cars like the Gold Star domes.

21 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Of note the Wilderness Express cars are premium cars like the Gold Star domes.

A downside to traveling in the Wilderness Express and the Holland America Princess cars is that one is stuck in a single car (with the sun beating down unobstructed) for the entire duration of the journey. When traveling in the Alaska Railroad cars--even its "GoldStar" cars--one is free to travel the entire train. Since my preference is a Vista Dome car (as opposed to an Ultra Dome car), this is all the more reason, in my book, to go with Alaska Railroad cars.

• Like 1

Great answers I do appreciate them. I saw a video post where the person was put on the Wilderness Express cars. I've seen others not associated with NCL speak to the inability to get a seat in Adventure class cars in the dome. NCL assures assigned seating in a dome but they do not say which dome car. If assigned seating then I guess the only thing that matters is where the car is in the line. Thanks

• Like 1