Caribbean Princess Panama Canal cruise questions

marcyjane

I posted this as well on Princess Board but thought would post here as well. 

This question is for those of you who have done the partial Panama Canal cruise.  What is there to do if you stay on the ship. Any activities etc. 

We are debating a tour but have not totally decided yet.  Would like your opinions please and thank you. We are sailing March 2023. 

Sounds like you are on a partial transit where the ship enters the new Atlantic Locks, Agua Clara and locks up to Gatun Lake.  After reaching Gatun Lake the ship will disembark passengers who have booked ship's excursions.  The ship will wait for a slot to lock back down the same locks where the ship will dock in either Cristobal or Colon where the passengers who are on tour will rejoin the ship.

While I can't speak to the CP directly, usually most of the activity is centered around the ship's passage through the locks.  While the return through the locks is interesting it is the reverse process of what you experienced earlier that morning.  You will have traveled through about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal, if at all possible I think this is a great time to see more of the Canal and or Panama.

Whatever you decide... enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from this cruise and we got off the ship for an excursion.  Note that you can only get off via tender in lake Gatun if you purchase an excursion.  Tendering and going anywhere is immediately interesting because you will drive across one of the gates you just passed in transit.  

As for what is on the return trip, the destination expert indicated that she would provide commentary on the return that included new facts and information for those on the ship.  Also, in the morning, it felt like everyone was vying for viewpoints and I imagine that things free up for the return.  There was also a regular patter with a list of events, somewhat lighter than on a sea day, but regular things going on.