Why doesn't HAL have a Lobster Night?

Reds4life

13 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

There is a museum in Maine (probably the Maritime Museum, but not positive after over 25 years) where one of the exhibits is an 1840 or so letter signed by inmates in a Maine prison to the Warden asking oh-so-respectfully could they please have something other than lobster to eat one day a week! Before the invention of refrigerated railroad cars lobster apparently covered the sea bed and weren’t well-esteemed in the area it could be shipped to without refrigeration. 

Because they shipped it alive, like chickens and many "proteins".  There were no refers commercially available in 1840, so of course it was unlikely  they had one on a ship.  I dont understand the lobster thing.  I enjoy crab much more and even that I can only handle small portions.

8 hours ago, shack said:

Coming from New England with lots of time on NH and ME seacoasts I can vouch for the fact that up until the 20th century lobster was looked upon as trash from the sea to be fed to the poor.

Apparently you have missed out on the fact that many foods once looked down upon are now highly esteemed. Including oysters, salmon, and even sushi.