Celebrity trip insurance

itsawonderfullife

I booked 2 weeks ago, through celebrity, for a cruise to Norway in June. I now see they signed me up for their travel insurance. Is it as good a one I can get elsewhere? Should I change it? And can it cover my flights and before and after travel? I called and the guy wasn’t very helpful.  This is the first time I haven’t used a TA for cruise travel. Thanks

On 1/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, itsawonderfullife said:

I booked 2 weeks ago, through celebrity, for a cruise to Norway in June. I now see they signed me up for their travel insurance. Is it as good a one I can get elsewhere? Should I change it? And can it cover my flights and before and after travel? I called and the guy wasn’t very helpful.  This is the first time I haven’t used a TA for cruise travel. Thanks

Find out if it is actually Celebrity,  or an actual insurance company, providing the policy and paying on it if the situation arises. I remember years ago I was told never to get insurance through the cruise line itself. If something happened and they went bankrupt there wouldn’t be anyone to pay the insurance. However, I think most major cruise lines use an actual insurance company now to provide that coverage. Celebrity will be able to tell you. Or if they have sent you a copy of the policy and its benefits, it should say the name of the actual insurance company on it.  I’ve used insure my trip before as well. However, I’ve never had to put in a claim.

Edited by mlbcruiser

Assuming it is the Celebrity Cruise Care policy which Celebrity can add to the booking in nearly all states, it is probably not “as good as you can get” elsewhere because there are policies available that offer “better” coverage but may be more expensive.  It doesn’t cover flights you book yourself. I don’t know about flights you book direct with Celebrity.  When we have purchased it the insurance is with an insurance company not Celebrity itself.  One advantage of the Celebrity Cruise Care is that it includes the ability to cancel the cruise for a non covered reason up until the day you sail and get a certificate equal to 90% of the non refundable cruise fare to use on another Celebrity cruise within one year.  That may or may not be of interest to you.  You can find more information about the insurance on Celebrity’s website and compare it with other policies you can find at websites that sell travel insurance.  There is a whole area here on Cruise Critic devoted to travel insurance. Suggest you look there as well.

• Like 1