Glasgow airport to Cumbria

TVNews

We have a cruise booked out of Southampton in September. Rather than just fly into London pre-cruise, I thought it would be interesting to explore some of my family history in the Scottish borderlands and Penrith where my father was born. However, I've had no luck finding a tour/transfer from Glasgow airport to Penrith (with or without stops) that doesn't cost a small fortune. Have contacted Rabbie's Tours and another tour operator specializing in clan history and haven't even received a response. One Penrith-based car service told me they won't quote on trips this far in advance. Renting a car is an option but I'm not thrilled at the prospect of driving in the UK.  Before I give up and book the flight directly to London I thought I'd turn to the good folk on these boards for help.

Hiring a car would be the best option. The drive to Penrith is very straightforward. Once out the airport head south on the M74 for about 2 - 2 and a half hours until you see the turn off for Penrith. It really couldn’t be easier. The M74 was extended a few years ago meaning you can avoid the traffic on the notorious M8. Also around 45 minutes out of Glasgow the motorway cuts through some nice scenery and the traffic gets quite sparse. As always , the worst part of renting a car is getting out of the airport! While you are in Penrith it would be worth delving deeper into the Lake District - it’s really pretty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Hiring a car would be the best option. The drive to Penrith is very straightforward. Once out the airport head south on the M74 for about 2 - 2 and a half hours until you see the turn off for Penrith. It really couldn’t be easier. The M74 was extended a few years ago meaning you can avoid the traffic on the notorious M8. Also around 45 minutes out of Glasgow the motorway cuts through some nice scenery and the traffic gets quite sparse. As always , the worst part of renting a car is getting out of the airport! While you are in Penrith it would be worth delving deeper into the Lake District - it’s really pretty.

To Penrith can be done by frequent trains, but it involves at least one change - and despite family connections Penrith alone is hardly worth the effort.

I concur with my Scottish friend - if you can overcome your concerns about driving in the UK, renting a car is the way to go.

At Glasgow airport we've rented from Europcar, no problems.

Immediately outside the (small) airport you join a dual-carriageway (divided highway in North Americanspeak) which takes you all the way (120 miles, 2 hours) to Penrith. If you don't have GPS, all the way from the airport just follow follow signs for M74 Carlisle.

Check out that route on a map -  on the way down or on the way back you might want to divert off  to any family roots in the Scottish lowlands.

Penrith is at the northern end of the Lake District.

Especially  if you spread your trip over two days (or more) you can explore the beautiful lakes and peaks of the Lake District. For example, Penrith - Ullswater -  Windermere (mebbe a steamer trip here) - Ambleside - Grasmere - Thirlmere - Keswick is a natural circuit of 65 miles, a nominal 2 hours scenic driving. Add an hour if you also take in Coniston Water.

Those roads are slow single carriageway and twisty in places but not excessively narrow, and with enough traffic to remind you which side of the road you are driving. 

Driving on the "wrong" side of the road  (english-language translation of "wrong side" is "correct side" 😛) isn't as daunting as you might think - your car will be right-hand-drive, and the bulk of your travel will be on divided highway with off-ramps on the left. And if you choose automatic transmission you won't be trying to use the door-handle to change gear. Other traffic will keep you on the straight & narrow, and there are a variety of hints such as trying to always park, or pull off at a gas station, on your nearside. And leave a note on your steering wheel for overnite or if you're out of the car for any length of time.

I've driven on the "wrong" side in many countries including the US, and in Europe it's mainly been in my own car. Even in my early days it wasn't a big problem.

There are a few different rules of the road, the only significant ones for your trip are

- no overtaking on the nearside

- at roundabouts (traffic circles?) give way to traffic on your right.

Just MHO as always

JB 🙂

• Like 1