Edinburgh Hotel Pre-cruise

stpointer

The whole of the centre of Edinburgh is easily walkable for those with normal mobility, and the bus service brilliant for only £4.50 a day unlimited usage, so I'd choose somewhere reasonably central that you can dip back into during the day, but not so central that you pay silly prices.

When I still worked, a lot of colleagues visiting Edinburgh recommended the Novotel Lauriston Place; mid-market, good location on above criteria.  

But the choice is huge, from boutique hotels with less than 10 bedrooms to the top of the range Balmoral, Intercontinental or Caledonian.

We stayed at the Premier Inn Royal Mile.
Reasonable price, clean and quiet, a couple of blocks from Waverley rail station, and as the name says, right next to the Royal Mile.

Nice resto on the premises if you want a quick hot breakfast before heading out. And very good cancellation policies, so you can lock in a room now and cancel and rebook if the price drops between now and then.

7 hours ago, LidoLiz said:

We stayed at the Premier Inn Royal Mile.
Reasonable price, clean and quiet, a couple of blocks from Waverley rail station, and as the name says, right next to the Royal Mile.

Nice resto on the premises if you want a quick hot breakfast before heading out. And very good cancellation policies, so you can lock in a room now and cancel and rebook if the price drops between now and then.

Premier Inn are the largest hotel chain (probably by far) in the UK, and my go-to option when available.  We spent 14 nights in a total of 10 hotels touring Devon & Cornwall last spring and have another 11 nights in 5 hotels already booked.  They are at the upper end of the budget segment, so don't expect anything beyond a very nice and clean bedroom with a comfortable bed, and usually an inexpensive mass-market restaurant/bar on site.  If availability or budget for this one is an issue, then they have another 6 locations just in the city centre.

They very definitely use dynamic pricing.  If you choose them, keep regularly checking back after you've booked (I save the URL for the exact dates as a bookmark) and you may find that the price drops substantially for a period before rising again.

It really depends on what type of traveller you are. Do you want to be right in the city central to everything or would you prefer to stay out a bit and experience a local area? Do you like chain or independent places? The choice is endless. 

Now living near Edinburgh we never need a hotel but I will suggest something off piste. A few years ago I had German friends come over and they stayed in the Abercorn Guesthouse in Portobello.  When I went to meet them there I got a tour and it was absolutely lovely. Elegant decor and the owner was so welcoming and friendly. My  friends loved the options at breakfast ( both porridge and haggis is on the menu if you want to go full Scottish!)  They thought the whole experience was great and it gets excellent reviews from all sources. Now Portobello is the seaside section of Edinburgh and has had a revival in recent years with lots of independent shops and cafes. Great transport links to the centre with Lothian buses ( just buy a Day-rider ticket) but also it’s a good place to escape the crowds in the city centre. You might want to be nearer the action though. 

If you would prefer to stay a little bit out the centre, somewhere in the Morningside area would be my preference. Lots of buses on the route but also walkable. I much prefer staying in a local area in independent hotels rather than chains in busy city centres but that is just my preference. You may be different. If that’s the case the aforementioned Novotel at Lauriston Place always seems to be busy when I drive past it so it must be okay. Good location too.

Enjoy Edinburgh - it’s a great place 😀

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I am leaning towards staying near the centre, as we will only be there 2 nights and want to see everything!!!!  Before making my decision, however, I will look into the Morningside area as suggested.

If I may, one last question..thoughts on a day trip to St. Andrews golf course.  My husband enjoys playing as well as watching.

By public transport it’s a bit tricky. You can get a train to nearby Leuchars and then a regular bus to St Andrews from there. Buses straight from Edinburgh take a while as they stop in a lot of wee places. I’ve been looking into this as our daughter hopes to study at St Andrews next year. 

St Andrews itself is lovely. Beautiful location on the coast. Depending on when you go I will say all the students can be a bit much. Not in term time is best😉. There is a golf museum and plenty of golf shops too. Not sure about playing but I imagine if you are meaning the Old Course it will be pretty pricey and lots of rules and regulations too. Would I give up a day in Edinburgh for St. Andrews? Probably only if I was in in Edinburgh for 5 days or more. There’s plenty to keep you going for a few days in Edinburgh.