A few thoughts on my January 23rd, 2023, Edge Voyage

Nashna

We sailed on Apex last January and fell in love with the Edge Class ships. We immediately booked this cruise and a previous cruise on the Apex the week prior. This cruise was fantastic... except for the food selection and quality. The difference in food quality in one year was disappointing. When speaking with other passengers, the food options and quality were the main topics that were discussed. Since higher-priced fish (tilapia was featured), filet mignon, and prime rib were not offered, we decided to spend the $65.00 per person to go to Fine Cut. While my husband's filet was very good, my prime rib was not. When the Maitre de asked why I ate so little, I told him the meat was very tough. I frequently prepare prime rib at home. It is virtually impossible to ruin the meat if you are cooking with prime or choice prime rib. This was not a fine cut.

Despite the food, we had a very enjoyable cruise. Captain Tosas is the most entertaining and charming master of the ship. He also has a fantastic sense of humor, which was displayed at the Liars Club Night. The cruise director, Guiseppe, was full of fun and made a great duo with the captain. The entertainment was varied and kept us going to the shows. One comedian, Tommy Green, Jr., was very funny, and I was happy to see him perform several times. The singers and performers throughout the ship were excellent. I loved the varied entertainment options. We did think that the Edge theatre was not as well designed as was the Apex. I'm sure improvements were made from the original design. In fact, the Edge might benefit from some upgrades throughout the ship in the next few years to bring it up to speed with the others in it's class.

Our stateroom was a Sunset Veranda on the 12th deck. I should have heeded the soot and noise reviews of this floor that I read on Cruise Critic. The scraping of chairs started around 600 am and continued until 9:00 pm. The aft location is directly under the outdoor seating area of the Oceanfront Cafe, so this notice is unavoidable. In addition, the ship seemed to be spewing a lot of soot. Our balcony was covered with it. In the middle of the cruise, the balcony was closed to us for a few hours for deep cleaning. It was spotless for a few hours; until the soot fell again. Our room steward, Devendra was first-rate. He anticipated our needs and was friendly and efficient. Our room was always cleaned when we returned from breakfast.

We thought the service was excellent throughout the ship. We were greeted with friendly smiles by all. If it were not for the poor food selection and quality, we would have given the Edge a 5-star rating. 

• Thanks 6

Thank you for your honest/balanced opinion. I appreciate all of the latest information so many cruisers are reporting. 

I'm booked on deck 9 in a sunset veranda for Gk Isles on Beyond, was the soot deck 12 specific or an issue for all aft balconies? 

Patty 

We sailed on the Apex the week prior to our Edge cruise.  We were on the 9th floor in a sunset veranda and had no problem with the soot issue.  We really liked that location.  You should be fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1