Itinerary change for next week sailing, Aruba.

snowmouse

I just received notification that we are going to Aruba instead of Bonaire on Feb12 Nieuw Amsterdam, 5p-11p.  I'm fine with the change but wondering if there will be shore excursions available?  There aren't any on the app right now.  Wondering if this isdue to only being an evening stop, or if it just too close?  We probably will just go ashore for dinner.  We have done this in the past, but our favorite Mirandi is no longer in business.  Any suggestions for something beachy but nice.

Please be advised that Nieuw Amsterdam is experiencing a technical issue with the Azipod propulsion system. While this in no way affects the safety of our guests or team members, it does restrict our ability to operate at full speed. As a result, we will no longer call to Kralendijk, Bonaire on Wednesday, February 15, 2023. Instead, we will now call to Oranjestad, Aruba from 5:00 PM to 11:00 PM on the same date.

Holland America Line shore excursions for Bonaire will be refunded to your shipboard account. Updated shore excursion information will be available on board. Due to this change, each guest will receive $50 USD as a non-refundable onboard credit applied to your shipboard account.

I hope this isn't like the Crown Princess Alaska cruise my friend did last June. She received a very similar message just before sailing. Turned out it wasn't just an Azipod. The ship had limited power everywhere. This resulted in limited dining, no heated pools, hot tubs that weren't hot and many other issues. The onboard pub never opened. The itinerary kept changing and the ports they did visit were limited with late arrival. 

Gee, that stinks. Bonaire is so much better than Aruba for me. And then you are limited in Aruba beach time (if any) as the ship is arriving at 5 PM. I do understand that a broken azipod limits the ship's options, but at least HAL ought to bump up the compensation. $50 is too low of compensation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Gee, that stinks. Bonaire is so much better than Aruba for me. And then you are limited in Aruba beach time (if any) as the ship is arriving at 5 PM. I do understand that a broken azipod limits the ship's options, but at least HAL ought to bump up the compensation. $50 is too low of compensation.

Agreed. Its interesting too because it doesn't look like Aruba is significantly closer than Bonaire.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 4:30 PM, CHOPPERTESTER said:

I smell a rat. Our Rotterdam 4 Jan 2023 cruise got Bonaire cancelled and replaced by San Juan. The reason being Bonaire since 1 Jan 2023 only allows one cruise ship at a time now and Carnival Spirit is scheduled for Bonaire on 15 Feb.

Bingo