MONTEREY CALIFORNIA CANCELLED

maggie.1008

7 hours ago, LNielsen said:

Monterey will no longer allow cruise ships.  Period. My uncle recently retired from his position as a Monterey County Supervisor, he has confirmed this to me.  

Technically the city vote was just to remove city personnel from supporting cruise ship visits.  If a cruise line was willing to hire their own personnel and jump through a number of other hoops they could still visit.  This was stated during the meeting where the vote was taken.  The city itself does not have the authority to keep cruise ships out of the bay.  They can only make it more expensive and difficult for the cruise ships to do stops there. Most likely the cruise lines will not be willing to take those extra steps and will cancel the stops instead.  

On 2/10/2023 at 2:04 AM, jennybenny said:

That is too bad to hear that Monterey won't be on any cruise stops,  it's a wonderful place to visit! We live close to Monterey and go often, and we've done a few cruises that stop there. I might say I enjoy the cruise stop better than the day trip from home!! 

I haven't been to Catalina Island (Avalon) since college, when I lived in LA, but it's also a great place to go, different than Monterey, but still lovely. 

Would Santa Barbara maybe be added instead? 

Either way, I'm sure it will be a great cruise. I really enjoy the California Coastal cruises. 

The funny thing is that the vote was to prevent potential damage to the bay.  The last incident with a cruise ship was back in 2002 with a Crystal ship dumping treated gray and black water.  Compared to the City itself dumping 4.6 million gallons of sewage into the bay in 2018 when there was a malfunction at one of the sewage plants.

I was in Monterey last week.  Visit there fairly often.  The cruise ships visit during midweek during  the off season when the city is relatively empty.  So unlike other cities which tend to ban or restrict cruise ship visits due to over crowding negatively impact locals and other tourists, or for other pretty real reasons, Monterey did in over the risk of a very low probability event.

• 3 weeks later...