Seattle - Homewood Suites or Mediterranean

auggiemom

We are used to cruising out of Florida and have our favorites at all the ports, but Seattle is new to us.  We are flying in a day early in the AM and want to stay closer to the port and downtown to do a bit of sight seeing.  I have narrowed it down to two hotels The Mediterranean and Homewood Suites.  Anyone have any reason to stay at one over the other, or any feedback?

Thank you in advance!

Which Homewood Suites, the "downtown" one or the "Convention Center" one?

If the former (on Western Avenue) I'd definitely choose the Mediterranean Inn instead.  The Homewood Suites "downtown" property is in a pretty trafficky area without very many amenities (restaurants etc.) close by.  The Mediterranean Inn is better located IMO in terms of nearby amenities and transportation options.  

If it's the Convention Center Homewood Suites, that would be my preference as it's walkable to many downtown destinations.  

• Like 1

We've stayed at both of those and agree completely with GL - we went back the Med, but never again to Homewood (which was absolutely fine in terms of room, cleanliness etc. just way less convenient for doing literally anything on foot). Especially for a first visit, with time to pootle around, the Med is better by far - don't miss the roof deck, a pleasant place to take your preferred beverage and person to watch the sunset!

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1

I like Homewood Suites most places I travel.  But I like them as a business traveler, where I'm attending a conference or training of some sort and don't want to have to figure out breakfast and dinner every night.  Most of the evening dinners at Homewood, and the breakfasts, are sufficiently decent to avoid having to go out in an unfamiliar city looking for a meal, frequently alone, and then driving back to the hotel in darkness, again in an unfamiliar place.  If I'm staying someplace long enough I might even have them do some grocery shopping for me, for some snacks and beverages, so I can have those in my kitchen, so I've got something to snack on at night while relaxing.

However, if I'm on vacation, I don't typically select Homewoods, usually because they aren't actually that great as tourist lodging.  Sure, they are clean and presentable and even though most are franchises, they are all just similar enough that they are mostly consistent, but amenities on the weekends are reduced, no dinner, and sometimes the weekend breakfasts are not nearly as good as the weekday breakfasts, different menu, different offerings.

Anyway, my wife has to visit her home office in Seattle a couple of times a year and the Mediterranean is walking distance to her office and they consider it affordable enough to put her up for a few days to a week.  Rooms are more traditional, no kitchen like a Homewood, but the rooms are clean and the location is very walkable to other things of interest in the area, although for her she is only walking to the office.  The roof deck is on of the things she likes best about the place.

Most of the time the Mediterranean is a competitive price compared to other downtown hotels, and its location can't really be beat.