Passports/Cruising out of Rome

I just read on the State Department website that all visitors to Italy must register with the local police withing a couple days of arriving. Being as we are flying into Rome and going immediately to the ship this seems like it will be difficult at best. We will be staying in Rome two nighst post cruise also, I don't care to have that end up being in an Italian jail for immigration violations. Does anyone have any experience about how this rule applies to cruisers who won't actually be sleeping in Italy?

I just read on the State Department website that all visitors to Italy must register with the local police withing a couple days of arriving. Being as we are flying into Rome and going immediately to the ship this seems like it will be difficult at best. We will be staying in Rome two nighst post cruise also, I don't care to have that end up being in an Italian jail for immigration violations. Does anyone have any experience about how this rule applies to cruisers who won't actually be sleeping in Italy?

This is from www.italiantourism.com .....

Registration for Tourists

The formality of registering with the police within 3 days of a tourist's arrival in Italy is attended to by the hotels one stays with. If staying with friends or in a private home, the visitor has to register in person at the nearest police station within a 3-day period. In Rome there is a special police information office to assist tourists. (Interpreters are available) telephone: 461-950 or 486-609

I wouldn't be concerned with registering with the local police.

I would not worry about this in the least.I have spent a lot of time in Italy in the past two years and I have not registered with the local police during my stays there.It especially would not apply to those on a cruise.The only thing I would worry about today is buying a knockoff purse as they really seem to be cracking down on that with big fines.Enjoy your cruise.

I also would not worry about this unless you are staying in a private home. The hotel will take care of this. I travel to Milano fairly often, as my employer is part of an Italian company.

Since you are going to the ship on arrival, you won't be staying in Italy other than on the ship. The ship will do all required registering with authorities as needed.

When you leave the ship for the two night post cruise stay, your hotel will xerox your passport when you register and they are required to report you.

Archived