Civitavecchia to Rome - Does this work?

MaddyMom

I’m an experienced cruiser, but booked my first trip to Europe this summer on Enchanted Princess. We arrive on June 24 at Civitavecchia at 05:00. I have arranged for a tour of the Necropolis in Rome at 09:15, through the Vatican. I plan to travel by train between port and Rome. Searching train schedules, I can’t find a train leaving Civitavecchia earlier than 09:00. Is this correct, or is there an earlier train that I am not seeing? I am hoping my tour time at the Necropolis will work, as I’m not sure how easy it would be to request a later time. 

Thanks for your help!

You have to select the range of times you're looking at in your search. In the search bar, look just to the right of the date and you will see a time. That time defaults to the current time (e.g., the time you're searching) -- you have to input the time that you ACTUALLY want to get the train. For example, put in 7:00am and it will show you trains from 7:00 onward for about the next 2-3 hours.

image.thumb.png.bc8bf84e44a3007efbc61456d95c965d.png

That said, you might be cutting it close. Arrival at 5:00 am doesn't mean getting off the ship at 5:00 am. Is this a turnaround day for the ship or just a normal port day? On a turnaround day, you probably won't be able to start disembarking until 6:00 (or later). And you should allow between 30-45 minutes to get from the ship to the train station depending on how quickly shuttles fill up and run and whether you plan to take the public bus from port entrance to train station or walk...

Where is your tour meeting?  Which necropolis tour is it?  The Scavi tour?

Yes, the Scavi tour. It isn’t a turn around day, but it is a day where some will disembark and others embark for the next portion of the cruise. I have been putting an earlier time into the search, but not finding times that work. Sounds like I will need to try and get a later time for our tour, just to be on the safe side. 

Thanks for your help 

• 1 month later...

You could also get private transportation to and from the Port.  Rome In Limo offers transportation only to/from port.  That way they can pick you up exactly when you want.  We have used them twice and were very happy with their service.