Swan Hellenic

SemiO

Does anyone have any advice re Swan Hellenic? We’re looking at an Eastern Mediterranean cruise in September but can’t find any reviews (other than Antarctic cruises)or much information about the line. Their website doesn’t list any excursions available and we’re concerned about booking when we know so little but the itinerary looks great. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am interested in Swan Hellenic - am about to book a cruise on the Vega, to Greenland.  I think the very positive reviews so far, even though these are for a different destination, reflect the potential for the cruise line to deliver a high quality and enjoyable experience.  I look forward to hearing more from anyone who has experienced one of their cruises firsthand.

Have you contacted the company to ask for more specifics about excursions, relative to a more port-intensive itinerary such as the Mediterranean? 

Thanks for your reply! The ship we’re looking at is the Diana. Can’t see many cabins booked. Will contact the company directly soon: have some leave coming up. Have only cruised on Cunard(twice) so relatively new to cruising and this seems a very different proposition being a much smaller ship. Itinerary looks great! Greenland sounds amazing- SH seems to be pretty expert in that area.

Thanks, SemiO - I hope SH provides you with the info you’re seeking about excursions in ports.  Their ships sound great, and they do have some very interesting offerings.  

I’ve visited Greenland before, but only for a couple of days, and independently.  Have been eager to return for a more intensive experience.  Was looking at Hurtigruten, which also has deep expertise in this region , but then learned about SH, and the cruise dates fit my schedule better - so, trying something new!  Especially since the professional and Antarctic reviews were so positive.

I hope others who’ve experienced SH will respond to your thread, with additional info or perspectives - thanks for starting it -

• 2 weeks later...

SH Diana and SH Vega are in service.  SH Minerva is still un-leased and un-purchased by Swan.  See the post on Swan's Antarctica "Bait and Switch" to see how far you can trust the word of Swan Hellenic.

I myself would not trust them any further than I could comfortably spit a rat, as it took extensive effort to merely be made whole after their lies about sailings that they new months ahead would never happen.

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the parkas for the polar regions.  Are they more US sizes or European (which run small).  And if I pick the wrong size, will they have extras in other sizes I could swap for?