Alaska fashions

Bholling

Hi Ladies -

I'm in the beginning stages of planning for a July 7th sailing of the Mercury from Seattle to Alaska, and need some fashion advice.

From the looks of the brochures, daytime apparel tends to be jeans or chinos and a sweater, maybe with a t-shirt underneath. I suspect you'd also wear a fairly substantial coat at times, along with hat, gloves, etc. I may also bring along one pair of shorts or capris, just in case.

My question is more about the evening attire. This will be our 10th cruise, and I'm pretty familiar with how people dress in the tropics, but this is our first cruise to a cooler climate.

My first inclination is to bring a pair of black stretchy-fabric dress pants and 3 or 4 long sleeve tops (Like those you see from Karen Kane) for casual and informal nights, but should I be bringing my cashmere sweaters and wool dress pants instead? Seems odd for July, but you never know.

I get the idea that Alaska is more casual in general, so I'm not planning to break out the full-length gowns (which I don't love, anyway). So, for formal nights, I am planning to bring a pair of black satin pants and wear them with a beaded jacket (with a black tank top underneath) for one night, and a beaded sweater for the other.

Sound good? Will I see lots of fancy dresses and wish I had mine? Any other fashion tips? Thanks everyone!

Don't forget to bring a rain poncho, it rains and can be misty year round in Alaska, in July during the day it should be pants & short sleeve weather.

July is the best time to visit Alaska that is the 1 month of truly summer weather, especially in the southeast. Cold nights you will need a coat.

I wore dress sandals last July to Alaska for evening wear. You will see everything. I wore dressy camis with skirts and dress pants(both black) for informal nights and wore shawls when required. Enjoy your trip, it is breath taking.:)

Thanks girls!

Sounds like I'll be set with a pair of black dressy sandals (and I thought I wouldn't get to have a pedicure before this trip...oh darn! ;)) and black dress boots for evening. Then a pair of tennis shoes for the workout room, a casual hiking boot/shoe to wear with jeans, and one pair of flip flops to wear to the spa or pool.

Don't think I'll bring a dress, but maybe a black skirt to mix it up a bit.

What's the general consensus on denim skirts in the dining room? I have a nice darker finish, flared, knee length one that I wear to work with boots & a sweater. That would probably be OK for a casual night, right?

I've also got several of those pashmina thingies they sell in the gift shops - that will add a little color when needed!

It will depend on which ship you are sailing as some as more casual than others. Perhaps ask the question on the specific cruise line board. I know NCL was pretty casual but I took lightweight black bottoms due to the weight issue. There were alot of clothes required for this trip by the time I packed fleece, jacket, long pants and heavier shoes. Just thoughts, enjoy preparing!! I also took micro mini gloves from the dollar store as it was cold viewing the glaciers.

I didn't see any difference in evening attire in Alaska than I do on warm weather cruises, formal was still formal.

Make sure to check the Alaska weather right before leaving home, www.weather.com has 10 day forecasts, but I'd only trust a 3 day forecast. Don't forget, it's summer in Alaska, too! I did not take a pair of sandals and really missed them, as well as I could have used a couple more short sleeved tops for daytime.

For day wear, light layers are best, that way you can peel off, or add to if necessary. I took a shorter length rain jacket and wished I'd brought along a longer one, my fanny was getting wet, sometimes the Alaska rain was sideways! The only really cold day we had was the day at the glacier, all other days were in the low 70's, with the exception of Sitka, which was around 80 degrees, sunny and beautiful. We were even able to leave our balcony door open at night, the weather was balmy and quite pleasant. Even walking the upper decks at night I did not need a jacket.

However, the weather is unpredictable, you really have to check right before you leave. One week can be rainy and cool, the next week it can be as high as 90 degrees and dry. On the above website, you should be able to check each port town you will visit.

Have a marvelous Alaska cruise, it's so beautiful!

I didn't see any difference in evening attire in Alaska than I do on warm weather cruises, formal was still formal.

However, the weather is unpredictable, you really have to check right before you leave. One week can be rainy and cool, the next week it can be as high as 90 degrees and dry. On the above website, you should be able to check each port town you will visit.

Have a marvelous Alaska cruise, it's so beautiful!

I agree with Kathy. I have cruised Alaska five times and found the formal evenings to be every bit as formal.

I find that layers work best. I never found it warm enough in the daytime to wear anything but long pants, but I get cold easily so this may not hold true for anyone else.

Thanks for the weather tips...I live in Michigan so I'm accustomed to ever-changing weather! I sure hope we have at least some "summer" weather on this trip - I normally spend my vacation time in July on a beach somewhere along Lake Michigan!

Maybe I'll skip the denim skirt, but I think I'll stick with the black satin as my formal night choice. Hubby will bring a black suit, but says NO NO NO to the tux for this trip. (Boo hoo - he looks so nice in one.)

Archived