Footwear for Iceland/Greenland in June

laserboi

Super excited for this expedition trip.  Never been on one but am seeing different "packing lists".  Trying to minimize the amount of footwear due to weight restrictions so wondering if y'all have suggestions on hiking boots versus a shorter hiking shoe? Do I need both or is one more versatile for hiking but also walking on flat terrain?Also, any clothing items you think are a must would appreciate your ideas as well.  Thanks!

My (big, mass market) ship experience last year was that waterproof sneaker-style hiking shoes were sufficient, even taking small boats to visit sort of remote spots. I've posted on CC about what I wore in Greenland, and I have a blog you are welcome to visit for a Greenland port review off a HAL voyage.

http://reallywonderfulthings.me/2022/09/26/cruise-report-port-of-qaqortoq-greenland/

The ground at the Hvalso site, for example, was uneven and grassy, but more rocky than boggy. I'm attaching one of my photos so you can see what that was like. (Further north, things may be very different; we only stopped there and Nanortalik in 2022.)

If you don't want to search or follow my link, my general wardrobe advice is concise: LAYERS! 😀 In August, sometimes I wore up to four or five thin layers, but I brought no bulky, thick clothing and stayed comfortable. My warmest one item was a cashmere sweater vest, but I'd wear that over long johns and under another cardigan and then a jacket on the chilliest excursions.

This summer, my spouse and I are returning for a Quark expedition cruise to Greenland, and I will probably bring the same waterproof shoes that worked well for me last year. (Of course, we will be provided the serious boots for wet landings on Quark, so that helps.) If I bring my boots instead, it will be for ankle support, not protection from wetness.

I'm one who *always* brings waterproof trousers to visit Iceland, even on a mass market or land trip, and even in the summer. I've been to Iceland four times, and Greenland just once. Many fellow travelers on our big HAL ship last year didn't think those were necessary. For an expedition, though, of course they will be a must! I think a thin, water- and wind-proof layer for all of your body matters more than any other technical item or gear, but I really hate spending a day damp and chilled.

An insect head net is perhaps an exception, and worth it (IMO) for $10 or so and a little space in a coat pocket to stow it. You may never need it, but, if you do, it'll be a life saver.

Someone who's already done an expedition may chime in, but these boards don't get the kind of traffic those for the mainstream lines do, so I wanted to give you what little advice I could.

--willo

Hvalso ground example.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Willo

thank you so much for your thoughts and advice. Very much appreciated. Yes, the ship will be providing the wet landing boots and a parka. We will rent the waterproof pants. Glad to hear the shorter hiking boots may be an option!  Will check out your big ad well. Thanks!