June 2nd-Republic Day

sophiebonz

We will be on the Symphony of the Seas and in Naples on June 2nd. It is my understanding that June 2nd is a public holiday-Republic Day. Any idea if things shut down in Naples, Positano, etc,? Our tour company indicated that we may experience heavy traffic and have to skip Positano in order to make it back to the ship on time (which we understand). Was wondering if anyone had any insight into the holiday and what we could expect. 

Thanks! 

A lot of businesses are closed.  They are likely to be open in heavy tourist areas. There will be parades and ceremonies in most cities, usually in the morning. A lot of people take the day off, so there will be more traffic going to the beaches and other attractions. Check the websites for the attractions you are interested in for opening times. 

I would expect very heavy traffic as it is a public holiday and locals will be making the most of their day off. In tourist areas restaurants and cafes will be open but some attractions may be closed. Everyday shops such as clothes stores and pharmacies may also be closed. I was in Rome for Republic Day last year and it was very crowded with some roads closed for the parade and ceremony but everyone had a great time as the atmosphere was celebratory and joyful.