Games & Knitting (Sapphire Princess)

SleepyBunny

Just over 2 weeks until my first trip with Princess with my 8 year old. 🤩

I was wondering if there are actually board games in the library or in the family lounge as listed, or if that's hit & miss. 

Also, for the Knitter & Knatter sessions, are needles and yarn provided or do we bring our own?

2 hours ago, SleepyBunny said:

Just over 2 weeks until my first trip with Princess with my 8 year old. 🤩

I was wondering if there are actually board games in the library or in the family lounge as listed, or if that's hit & miss. 

Also, for the Knitter & Knatter sessions, are needles and yarn provided or do we bring our own?

haven't been on the Sapphire since October so I don't know what is currently in the library, but generally they have board games that you can borrow...I don't know about a family lounge...here are some photos of the library from last fall (sorry I can't get the last one to rotate)

IMG20220924145619.thumb.jpg.10687c85cefc41200cfc771ecbed6374.jpg

IMG20220924145624.thumb.jpg.f33be2eb1dba15defb9c653d710392aa.jpg

IMG20220924145648.thumb.jpg.eff86924bc79eba88194a75943a493c8.jpg

knitters & knatters is just a space/time set aside for people who do crafting to gather together & work on whatever project they have brought with them...there should be various craft activities during the cruise where they provide materials & instructions (maybe paper flowers, masks, origami it will vary from ship to ship)

If you are interested I did a live from our cruise on the Sapphire last fall: 

Hope you & your 8-year-old have a wonderful cruise...you might also want to sign up for kids club, then they can choose if they want to go or not from day to day

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

haven't been on the Sapphire since October so I don't know what is currently in the library, but generally they have board games that you can borrow...I don't know about a family lounge...here are some photos of the library from last fall (sorry I can't get the last one to rotate)

IMG20220924145619.thumb.jpg.10687c85cefc41200cfc771ecbed6374.jpg

IMG20220924145624.thumb.jpg.f33be2eb1dba15defb9c653d710392aa.jpg

IMG20220924145648.thumb.jpg.eff86924bc79eba88194a75943a493c8.jpg

knitters & knatters is just a space/time set aside for people who do crafting to gather together & work on whatever project they have brought with them...there should be various craft activities during the cruise where they provide materials & instructions (maybe paper flowers, masks, origami it will vary from ship to ship)

If you are interested I did a live from our cruise on the Sapphire last fall: 

Just finished reading your epic 18-page LIVE!  Thank you posting so many pictures, details and answering questions @travelin.sisters - I am very excited for our upcoming trip!!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SleepyBunny said:

Just finished reading your epic 18-page LIVE!  Thank you posting so many pictures, details and answering questions @travelin.sisters - I am very excited for our upcoming trip!!

I hope it is a wonderful experience for you both...if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask! Have you checked to see if your cruise has a roll call (sometimes shorter ones don't, but if they do it's a nice way to 'meet' a few people before you sail)?

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

I hope it is a wonderful experience for you both...if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask! Have you checked to see if your cruise has a roll call (sometimes shorter ones don't, but if they do it's a nice way to 'meet' a few people before you sail)?

I have! I am planning to go to the M&G to get to know a few other people 🙂 Several have said they are doing the ducks, so that will be great fun to search for!

• Like 1

Princess is amazing for kids.   Go to kids club and register right away.   you can go there to play games with them on the first night and you might not see them again for the rest of the cruise.  

Knitters and knatters is an unsupervised group of people who do hand work. Attendance is hit or miss and no supplies or guidance is provided.  I bring hand sewing like English paper piecing or applique to do and will do it when and wherever I want.  I've found the craft "classes" to be hit or miss too.   Kids get to do so many crafts that you might need another suitcase for your way home.  

Edited by cruisetoscrap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:21 PM, cruisetoscrap said:

Princess is amazing for kids.   Go to kids club and register right away.   you can go there to play games with them on the first night and you might not see them again for the rest of the cruise.  

Knitters and knatters is an unsupervised group of people who do hand work. Attendance is hit or miss and no supplies or guidance is provided.  I bring hand sewing like English paper piecing or applique to do and will do it when and wherever I want.  I've found the craft "classes" to be hit or miss too.   Kids get to do so many crafts that you might need another suitcase for your way home.  

Thanks!  She has started knitting this year and can do pretty well once cast on!

I have read elsewhere that Kids Club may only be available June - August, so we are preparing in case they aren't available.  🙂

6 hours ago, SleepyBunny said:

Thanks!  She has started knitting this year and can do pretty well once cast on!

I have read elsewhere that Kids Club may only be available June - August, so we are preparing in case they aren't available.  🙂

there were KIds Clubs in March

• Like 1

My wife always attends the Knitters and Natters groups. She usually brings her tatting as it's small and easy to pack and carry. The groups vary in size and location. Hopefully they assign a reasonable location for the gatherings. Once they set it up to be in a dining room which was idiotic. On Sapphire the ideal location is Crooner's as it has windows so the light is good for doing any sort of needlework. On one cruise the Patter listed some stupid location and the people who met decided on their own to move it to Crooners and asked to have the notice in the Patter changed. The request was accommodated and future notices listed that location. Most of the time it's just been the ladies who showed up but a couple of times there has been a gentleman who was working on something.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

The groups vary in size and location. Hopefully they assign a reasonable location for the gatherings. Once they set it up to be in a dining room which was idiotic. 

Thanks @Thrak - I checked and it's being offered in the Vivaldi Dinning Room 😒 Good to know folks can suggest changes and that they are listened to!

13 hours ago, SleepyBunny said:

Thanks @Thrak - I checked and it's being offered in the Vivaldi Dinning Room 😒 Good to know folks can suggest changes and that they are listened to!

GAH! Dining rooms aren't well lit and they aren't setup for comfortable group seating. Only someone with no clue at all would put it in a dining room. Check with the Captain's Circle Rep on the ship and ask to have it changed. I can think of no reason in the world that Crooner's wouldn't be available as it isn't "in use" in the mornings for anything special. It has comfortable seating that lends itself much better to a group. Have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 3:44 PM, SleepyBunny said:

We were just on it in March and they even brought in more teachers for the trip.  Never seen them not have kids club on princess, it's the reason we sail.  I'd check our your sources on that. 

PS they were ELS teachers from Canada and they were awesome.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1