First time on AMA bur experienced cruiser, ocean, river and canal.

Hi Rudi and welcome to Cruise Critic.  Mrs Banjo and I are recently off the AMA Dahlia in Egypt.  First let me say that the on shore accommodations were the best we have ever experienced, thank you.  Also, we loved that you broke up the passengers into small groups.  Our tour guides and drivers were all top quality.  The AMA Dahlia was nice, quite comfortable and the crew were, as expected, fantastic!  There was considerable grumbling with regards to the food and management of the buffet.  We were told that the buffet 3 times everyday was an experiment, so I’m hoping thins can be looked into at some depth.

thank you.

• Like 1

We are going in June on the Eqypt AMA cruise and after reading reviews I am concerned. I guess I could lose a few pounds. It will be our first time on AMA, and I had always heard it was a step above Viking which we love. Someone even posted that the drinks were terrible. How is it possible to mess up a cocktail? Are the drinks included or just beer and wine at meals?

I know this isn't really supposed to be a discussion yet, but as someone who put down a deposit for may/June on the AMADahlia for next year and now reading these reviews(including not just bad food but food poisoning), I have concerns.  Especially in trying to convince my mother who needs a more flexible kitchen to come along with me.  It would be helpful to hear an encouraging answer here.

(but for the above normally the only included drinks on AMA cruises are at happy hours and meals).

Edited by CastleCritic

We first started cruising with the AmaDahlia during the Covid period, and with certain health and safety protocols in place, all meals needed to be served from a la carte menus rather than buffet style. We have now switched back to buffet style of presenting dishes, which is standard food service practice in Egypt.  During the July/August break, we will be redesigning and enlarging the entire buffet area on AmaDahlia, which will open up new possibilities and enhance our guests’ mealtime experience.    

Im significantly less worried about how the food is served than I am with it matching what Im used to with AMA for quality and being something I can eat either literally (Im a bit picky) or my mother with dietary issues can eat.  And that the food is properly and safely prepared.

I understand that Egypt is far from your logistics base in  Basel and that you have a travel partner but experiences on that ship reflect on your brand at large.

Edited by CastleCritic

On 4/20/2023 at 8:01 AM, mkblinzler said:

We are going in June on the Eqypt AMA cruise and after reading reviews I am concerned. I guess I could lose a few pounds. It will be our first time on AMA, and I had always heard it was a step above Viking which we love. Someone even posted that the drinks were terrible. How is it possible to mess up a cocktail? Are the drinks included or just beer and wine at meals?

Egypt is a unique destination that is incomparable to our Europe itineraries. During the 7-night river cruise along the Nile, guests can enjoy fine dining with a variety of choices, including The Al Fresco Restaurant and are welcome to enjoy a selection of included wine, beer and soft drinks during lunch and dinner services. During the Sip & Sail cocktail hour each night, our skilled bartenders will prepare a specialty cocktail for everyone to sip as they watch the sun set on the Nile River. Since we work closely with the local farmers/markets, we remain mindful of accessible agriculture and local customs. Egypt is a breath-taking destination that everyone should experience once in their lives, I know your upcoming journey along the Nile will be nothing short of wonderful.   

3 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

Im significantly less worried about how the food is served than I am with it matching what Im used to with AMA for quality and being something I can eat either literally (Im a bit picky) or my mother with dietary issues can eat.  And that the food is properly and safely prepared.

I understand that Egypt is far from your logistics base in  Basel and that you have a travel partner but experiences on that ship reflect on your brand at large.

All meals while cruising are prepared by our executive chefs and we offer a choice of Western and Egyptian/Mediterranean cuisine. If you have special dietary requirements (e.g. vegan, diabetic, gluten-free etc.), please advise AmaWaterways at least 30 days prior to your departure. We will make every effort to accommodate your request with the resources available.