Big Band Cruises?

Anyone know which ships play big band music? My parents are looking for a cruise ship that caters to the older crowds music. Can anyone suggest one, or have been on one?

Sovereign 6/04

Sensation 2003

Paradise 2002

Fascination 2001

Fantasy 1998

While I wouldn't say it had more big band music than other types, the Glory did showcase the "big band" sound several times during the week. They had a couple concerts during the day, as well as some in the evening. We were on the May 15 sailing, and it was a much older crowd than I had expected. A lot of the 60+ age group really seemed to enjoy the band. (which I have to admit was pretty entertaining)

The Dave Fulton Orchestra on the Pride did very well. As a former big band player myself (in High School/College) I was impressed swith the sound and complexity of the charts they played, especially for a group that is edited down from a typical "big band.").

They pulled it off with:

3 saxes (who could double)

1 trombone (Mr. Fulton - the band leader)

2 trumpets

Full rhythm section

They played in support of most events + the 2 "vegas-styled" shows as well as a show called "Swing Time" which ws simply an evening concert. Everyone had great chops and seemed to enjoy the gig.

• 3 months later...

Archived