Johnstone Strait - Telegraph Cove timeline

PACD_JG

I should know this since I have already cruised on the Koningsdam out of Vancouver, but does anybody recall what time the ship will sail by Telegraph Cove, assuming a 4 PM departure from Canada Place?

It’s actually hard to say since this area is after Seymour Narrows.  The transit through the Narrows occurs near slack water, so the ships try to time their transit to coincide with that.  Which sometimes means a quick trip up from Vancouver (even an early departure if they can pull it off) and sometimes a slow leisurely pace.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I'm travelling with family and they booked the Tamarind for 6:30 PM.  I'm more interested in looking out for the northern resident orcas than dining.

Here is the problem. Most Alaska cruises leave Vancouver earlier than in the past ( I have noticed some as early as 3PM last year). The reason is there is a speed restriction in effect for the Salish Sea including Juan de Fuca Straight if you are going to Victoria.
This also is why Princess and Carnival are not going to Victoria on their 10/11 Alaska cruises out of California. Victoria was swapped out for Prince Rupert in March when the speed change was announced.
A study was done over the period of Covid and the affect to the whale populations. The birth rate went up by about 50% (no this doesn't mean 50% more whales) so this year instead of starting the speed restriction in June, it came into effect this week on May 01. So no more  20 knots to get to Seymour Narrows. Since you are trying to get to Robson Bite it is highly likely it will be after dark despite the long twilight we have.
Your best bet if you are on 7 day return is about 5 PM or slightly later on the southbound trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Seacruise said:

Since you are trying to get to Robson Bite it is highly likely it will be after dark despite the long twilight we have.

Somehow I feel better about this - I'd rather miss seeing whales because of something I can't control.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Seacruise said:

Here is the problem. Most Alaska cruises leave Vancouver earlier than in the past ( I have noticed some as early as 3PM last year). The reason is there is a speed restriction in effect for the Salish Sea including Juan de Fuca Straight if you are going to Victoria.
This also is why Princess and Carnival are not going to Victoria on their 10/11 Alaska cruises out of California. Victoria was swapped out for Prince Rupert in March when the speed change was announced.
A study was done over the period of Covid and the affect to the whale populations. The birth rate went up by about 50% (no this doesn't mean 50% more whales) so this year instead of starting the speed restriction in June, it came into effect this week on May 01. So no more  20 knots to get to Seymour Narrows. Since you are trying to get to Robson Bite it is highly likely it will be after dark despite the long twilight we have.
Your best bet if you are on 7 day return is about 5 PM or slightly later on the southbound trip.

Agreed. Last year's Alaska cruise that we were on left Vancouver at 4 PM, but we had to wait at least an hour until our "turn" to navigate the narrows so it was quite dark out. Along with the tides, there is a kind of "one way traffic" situation so ended up seeing very little on the outbound northern transit.

Coming home, southbound, was excellent with wonderful views of Chatham Point and a bit of Telegraph cove. We saw whales and dolphins. Fingers crossed you will have good light, great weather and luck too!  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

Agreed. Last year's Alaska cruise that we were on left Vancouver at 4 PM, but we had to wait at least an hour until our "turn" to navigate the narrows so it was quite dark out. Along with the tides, there is a kind of "one way traffic" situation so ended up seeing very little on the outbound northern transit.

Coming home, southbound, was excellent with wonderful views of Chatham Point and a bit of Telegraph cove. We saw whales and dolphins. Fingers crossed you will have good light, great weather and luck too!  

This has been our experience too. The last day before returning to Vancouver has always been the day we see whales, etc along with the beautiful scenery in the evening.

• Like 1

Here is something that many don't know about Killer whales.

The BC resident whales eat Salmon while the transit (also referred to Biggs Pods) pods eat the likes Seals and Gray Whales. The killer whales of the antarctic eat penguins. Here is a recent video off California of Killer whales trying to kill 2 Grey Whales last month.