Eastern European Currency

cruiser02

We were in Budapest recently and used Credit card. We have one with no fees so it was a simple decision. 
In Czech Republic they accepted € as well as credit card.

Maybe if you give a list of the countries you are visiting, cruiser02  you will get more info.

Currently wrapping up a cruise through Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania. Officially only Croatia is on the euro. A lot of places where small change was needed (toilets) the guide would say to give them a half to 2 euro

a lot of places will still take dollars or euros but in general any business will take card. I pulled out 200 Romanian lira (about $40, and the only place I used it was to pay the guide.. and he broke it by giving me a 20 euro (likely from another passenger). 

there was one time I wished I had Bulgarian currency to pay a local artist but that’s the only time it’s come up this trip. The few times I tried to use the 200 bill In Romania no one wanted to break it. 

Edited by CastleCritic

In most cases, you won't need local currency.  We didn't have much reason to use local currency.  We did make a few small purchases in Croatia and our guide recommended just using contactless (Apple or Google pay) even for very small purchases.  We used both contactless & credit card in Bulgaria and Romania.  We didn't make any purchases in Serbia.  I think we used euros for the toilets (half to 1 or 2, depending if we paid together.).  I think during covid most vendors started using contactless. 

• Like 1