Rust’s Bear Day Trips in June

anlindst

Hello! I am considering booking a day trip for bear viewing out of Anchorage before we board our cruise, thinking Monday June 19 or Tuesday. I have been looking at the various plane companies who offer these same day trips and wondering if there are any reviews or feedback? Looking for tips on companies and which destination would be best for this time of year. 

I am leaning towards Rusts, but not sure if I’d prefer the Redoubt Bay with Pontoon boat viewing or Chinitna Bay with the vehicle/walk on foot to view points.

my priority is to see bears in the wild and enjoy watching them in their natural habitat. I also don’t want to be out for more than a few hours in case it’s too cold/bad weather. 

thanks in advance!

I'd probably go with the Chitina Bay option because (a) the land is more open, allowing better sightlines for spotting bears and photographing them with less chance of them ducking into the bush, and (b) it seems that there are more brown bears at Chitina Bay vs. both brown and black bears at Redoubt.   

Several years ago we went to Brook Falls from ANC with Rusts around 1 July and was a great trip. I wonder if 19 June is to early for them so check with guides about that. Don't have any info about your choices of locations.