First Time NCL Cruisier - Civitavecchia(Rome) Self-Disembark Time

I am trying to coordinate our transfer from Civitavecchia (Rome) port aboard the Breakaway in October 2023.  Our flight leaves FCO at 12:50pm so we want to self-disembark.  The ship arrives at 6am that morning in port.  I know the ship needs to clear customs first.

What time should I have our transfer pick us up?  We would want to leave as early as possible for our international flight and the airport is 42 miles from the port.

8 hours ago, ButterflyGirly said:

I am trying to coordinate our transfer from Civitavecchia (Rome) port aboard the Breakaway in October 2023.  Our flight leaves FCO at 12:50pm so we want to self-disembark.  The ship arrives at 6am that morning in port.  I know the ship needs to clear customs first.

What time should I have our transfer pick us up?  We would want to leave as early as possible for our international flight and the airport is 42 miles from the port.

Hi,

I recently asked these same questions since we're also disembarking from Rome in July, and have 12:40 & 12:55 pm flights from FCO, terminal 3.  I booked our private ride for 8:30 figuring we'll get to FCO around 9:30 or a little later. Our airline suggests we get there 3 hours ahead so we'd be in the ballpark.  We also plan to self-disembark. 

Below is a pic that was recently posted from someone disembarking at Rome, on the Breakaway last month. From what I understand from answers I got here regarding these instructions, even though it states that self-assist time is from 6-7am, you can go anytime. That time slot is strictly for those self-disembarking. The other rows are for those using NCL baggage handling (who need colored tags), and NCL transportation. 

Since I'm a new cruiser, I wasn't sure what time to vacate our cabin in order to get to the transportation area. I understand that could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.  If you need an elevator it can be a wait, if you can manage your bags on stairs it may go a little quicker. 

I hope this helps.  

image.thumb.jpeg.34b488c4b75a54acb5fa5ae743b88df9.jpeg

Edited by LGinPA

You should be able to self disembark soon after the 6am arrival time. I have known disembarkation to start earlier than that time before.

The biggest delay in getting off the ship is getting yourself and your luggage to the exit as the lifts are busy.

If you are arranging a transfer then they will  probably be able to pick you up from

the ship, but if not then you will need to add some time (I’d guess about 30 minutes) to get the shuttle to the port exit.

You should have plenty of time as a transfer before about 8am will probably get you to the airport too early.

6 hours ago, ButterflyGirly said:

LGinPA and KeithJenner thank  you for your responses, very helpful!

Did you decide on a pick-up time?  I'm still nervous about our 8:30, and your and my flights are the same time. 

We disembarked last month in Rome. The ship was cleared at 645am. The usual chaos to disembark. Not all terminals are the same at the port. The port we were at required us to disembark at ground level on Deck 4. Elevator lobbies all congested; NCL crew directing people to gather on Deck 7 aft.

Half of the elevators were on reserve and were not available to general passengers. We were off the ship at 645 to catch a 730 train, but we had to wait in Deck 5 elevator Lobby and then carry luggage down to 4. We pack very light. We skipped breakfast and were ready to go when the ship cleared. Had we listened to NCL staff there is no doubt we would have missed our 730 train. Good luck. Hope this helps.

• Like 1