Does anyone know what is going on for the port of Isjadorfur Iceland?

ontheweb

NCL has it down as a port, as opposed to a tender port. From what I have read, it is a tender port except for small ships. The Prima, which we are scheduled for August is not a small ship. They are supposed to be building an extension to not make it a tender port, but are behind schedule.

Ā 

From reading the NCL boards, it seems the ship has been skipping the port saying it can not dock. But posters on that board say the Celebrity Apex is docking and they feel that NCL just does not want to tender.

Ā 

Is there any information out there as to when the improvements are set to be finished?

Ā 

We have a private excursion booked there and paid for that we are loo forward to. (I usually do not pay in advance, but can understand a vendor in a small port having been burned too often wanting to be paid in advance.) I have been assured that if the the ship does not dock, we will be reimbursed. But it will be less a 5% handling fee. Not as much worried about the small amount of money, but more missing the tour and the whole idea of they will not dock when they can,

I did just send an e-mail to the tour operator to see if she has any information on when the improvements to the port might be finished and if it is true that the Prima has not been docking.

55 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I did just send an e-mail to the tour operator to see if she has any information on when the improvements to the port might be finished and if it is true that the Prima has not been docking.

She e-mailed back almost immediately, and all she could say was that as of this month ships were still tendering.

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

From reading the NCL boards, it seems the ship has been skipping the port saying it can not dock. But posters on that board say the Celebrity Apex is docking and they feel that NCL just does not want to tender.

Just to clarify, the Apex did not dock. They tendered. So that is why it seems like NCL is cancelling in order to avoid tendering. Iceland is currently working on extending the dock in order to allow larger ships to dock and it should have been done by now. NCL was expecting to be able to dock. The real question is why can't NCL just tender like ships have had to do in the past and currently are doing (other than NCL) in order to visit Isafjordur.

Edited by DMP609
Clarify who I'm referring to.

9 hours ago, DMP609 said:

Just to clarify, the Apex did not dock. They tendered. So that is why it seems like NCL is cancelling in order to avoid tendering. Iceland is currently working on extending the dock in order to allow larger ships to dock and it should have been done by now. NCL was expecting to be able to dock. The real question is why can't NCL just tender like ships have had to do in the past and currently are doing (other than NCL) in order to visit Isafjordur.

Yes, I should have said other ships like the Celebrity Apex are allowing ships to disembark.

Ā 

NCL has Isjadorfur down as a port where you dock (with Geiranger the only tender port for the cruise). I guess they do not want to lie about how you would get off the ship there, so they would rather lie about passengers being able to visit the port.šŸ˜’Ā 

• Like 1