Additional Vaccinations for Asia?

shaycamp21

We are all up -to-date with our Covid vaccines but wondering if we need additional vaccines when travelling in Asia (cruise starts in Singapore ends in Tokyo, ports are NhaTrang Vietnam, Hong Kong, Keelung, Taiwan, Kobe, Japan & Mt Fuji)? Yellow Fever? Hep B? There is a travel clinic where I live where you can go for a consult -- but it's for profit so from what I've heard they try and convince you to get everything under the sun. So want to know what else (if anything) is really necessary? 

16 hours ago, shaycamp21 said:

We are all up -to-date with our Covid vaccines but wondering if we need additional vaccines when travelling in Asia (cruise starts in Singapore ends in Tokyo, ports are NhaTrang Vietnam, Hong Kong, Keelung, Taiwan, Kobe, Japan & Mt Fuji)? Yellow Fever? Hep B? There is a travel clinic where I live where you can go for a consult -- but it's for profit so from what I've heard they try and convince you to get everything under the sun. So want to know what else (if anything) is really necessary? 

Yellow fever is in Africa and South America, not Asia so no need. (The name comes from the associated liver damage and jaundice, not the racist term.)

Hep B is recommended for everyone but it's a series of 3 shots so it takes half a year at least to complete, not sure how far off your cruise is. It's not a bad idea to get vaccinated because there is no cure for Hep B. Many people are vaccinated for it already, for example most health care workers.

You can get Hep A from eating contaminated food so I felt safer getting it because I'm an adventurous eater and I like trying street food.

But you're traveling to very clean, urban places. I probably wouldn't go out of my way. Like you say, sometimes travel clinics seem to try to sell you on more than you need, especially if you're not hiking through remote forests and jungles or anything like that. ☺️

Edited by skipsaur
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 3:01 AM, shaycamp21 said:

Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong are pretty safe developed cities, so you wont need additional vaccines.  

Vietnam is kinda tricky, but if you dont intend to eat anything outside of restaurants and hotels, or have physical contact with locals there, then you are alright.

but if you want to be extra safe, then consider Hepatitis A, and typhoid for contaminated food, 

maybe a flu vaccine for general protection for any sort of travel anyway

Hepatitis B is for blood and sex, so it depends on what you are planning to do.

• Thanks 1