Icy Strait Point Gondola and walking

SandAndSea6

Sadly we are arriving at Icy Strait Point at 6pm when, as I understand, many things are closed.  So I thought we'd just take in some of the natural beauty and do a self tour.  I've read that there is a free gondola and a town called Hoonah.

But I don't know what the best order of operations is.  We will be on a Holland America ship, Eurodam, near the end of August 2023.

I would like to ride the free portion of the gondola, walk thru the town of Hoonah, and I understand there is a walk at least partially along the water where we can keep an eye out for whales. 

Any tips on how to make the best use of our time keeping those goals in mind?

Thanks so much.

Those two activities are on opposite directions from each other.  Depending on when the free gondola shuts down for the day, you might do the walk to Hoonah first, then do the gondola as it is closer to the ships.  Or, do the reverse (gondola first, then the walk to town if the gondola closes shortly after you dock in ISP.

You can pick up the free gondola near the fire pit (I think it is the green gondola), and ride it up thru the ropes course, to the top, where there is a vantage point outlook area, as well as a small gift shop and restroom.  You can either walk back down via the "Beach Trail", or take the gondola back down.  If you walk down, there is a slight elevation gain at the beginning (it surprised me), and then it's downhill.  It took us about 20 minutes, with some stopping along the way..

To get to Hoonah, you just follow the road along the shoreline - and do look for whales, as they are out there.  The town is really just set up for the local residents (the shops for tourist are at the Cannery), but it's a pretty walk with a very slight, gradual incline - barely noticeable.

• Like 2

Not sure there will be much open in Hoonah at that time, but it is still a neat little town.  We saw an eagle nesting there earlier this month.  

If it is running, you can also take the bus to Hoonah.  I think it's $5 per person round trip.